First my apologies...2nd; has a general consensus been made

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

telekingdom

First my apologies...2nd; has a general consensus been made

Post by telekingdom »

...on a 'best' (I know, I know, sorry!) master volume for an AC30? I've tried to read thru so many opinions and all, my head is spinning. I assume a PPIMV? I would like to avoid power scaling right now. I apologize again for any redundancy. I'm hoping I'm narrowing it down by being amp specific, and I'm not concerned by ease, ie: it doesn't have to be the cut replacement mod. Any direction to a schematic would be appreciated.

Thank You.
Cliff Schecht

Re: First my apologies...2nd; has a general consensus been made

Post by Cliff Schecht »

This is in the wrong forum, this thread should be in the discussion forum..

PPIMV works great in these circuits. I always aim so that the parallel pot and "safety" resistor work out to a value only slightly above what the stock 220k resistors are (my last build used a 500k dual pot with 1.6Meg parallel resistors and this worked great).
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
telekingdom

Post by telekingdom »

Sorry, I thought I did post in general discussion... Can this be moved mods?

Thanks and sorry again.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Cross-line master volumes sound ine AC30s, and they are very simple to implement.
telekingdom

Post by telekingdom »

Has anyone tried the 'LaMar' MV in an AC30? Results?
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

telekingdom wrote:Has anyone tried the 'LaMar' MV in an AC30? Results?
That's the MV I was talking about above, I just hate using that goofy name. It's literally a pot with resistors soldered on it, not what I consider innovative enough to honor the name. Very simple to install and if you get the values right (again, see above) it's as transparent as any other option down to pretty low volumes. For 220k resistors to ground on the EL84 grids, I aim for a value slightly above this which seems to help the pot taper feel more natural.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

Cliff Schecht wrote:
telekingdom wrote:Has anyone tried the 'LaMar' MV in an AC30? Results?
That's the MV I was talking about above, I just hate using that goofy name. It's literally a pot with resistors soldered on it, not what I consider innovative enough to honor the name. Very simple to install and if you get the values right (again, see above) it's as transparent as any other option down to pretty low volumes. For 220k resistors to ground on the EL84 grids, I aim for a value slightly above this which seems to help the pot taper feel more natural.
Haha, I feel the same way about Fisher's MV. I think I'll start calling it the "Fishter-Gain-Control-with-a-couple-of-resistors-added-by-Larry-and-Mark".