Constant current instead of fixed bias?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

Constant current instead of fixed bias?

Post by skyboltone »

Anybody horsed around with red-board (led) sourcing for bias current? The HIFi guys are all over this but I don't know if it's too FI you know?
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
paulster

Re: Constant current instead of fixed bias?

Post by paulster »

Hey Dan

Our dear (and long-since-banned) friend Gary Moore designed all his amps around using LED biasing, and also used them as his tube life indicating 'BITE' lamps.

Unfortunately he managed to make them all sound awful in the sound clips that were posted, but I don't think that was the fault of the LED biasing!

I'd be interested to hear it properly implemented but there is always the problem that if a tube fails short it will knock out your LED and you'll be SOL for getting through the rest of the gig with just a preamp tube swap.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Hey Mister Paul:
I'm going to build up a tested design (for stereo) before I try the technique on a guitar amp. I was planning just the power tubes by the way. Sort of like a HI WATT setup only SS. It's just a current source but I'm sure somebody with better hearing than me will notice some cataclysmic loss of mojo with sand in there......while they hook up their pedal boards.

Thanks, I had forgotten Mister Moore. Kind of forgettable guy eh?

BTW, I've got one of your 6.3VAC to 6.3VDC boards in my Dumbell. Works great. Still have one board, I think I'll stick it in the driver tubes of my HiFi amp.

Dan
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

I tried a red diode (1.8v) on the first stage of a Champ'ish circuit. Seemed to work just fine. Sound change was subtle, but I can't say for better or worse for the most part. I haven't done any serious A/B's on them because I haven't had the time. :?
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

So Gary Moore was banned from here? That's why he's always at the MEF nowadays I guess.
paulster

Post by paulster »

skyboltone wrote:BTW, I've got one of your 6.3VAC to 6.3VDC boards in my Dumbell. Works great. Still have one board, I think I'll stick it in the driver tubes of my HiFi amp.
Glad it's working well for you. Now I'm this side of the pond it'll be a lot easier (read: cheaper) to send more over to you if you ever need them!
tubeswell wrote:So Gary Moore was banned from here? That's why he's always at the MEF nowadays I guess.
I think he systematically got himself banned from pretty much every guitar amp forum going. It was a fairly spectacular fireworks display!
Beerman

Post by Beerman »

tubeswell wrote:So Gary Moore was banned from here? That's why he's always at the MEF nowadays I guess.
MEF?

Post by paulster »

Music Electronics Forum.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

echuta13 wrote:I tried a red diode (1.8v) on the first stage of a Champ'ish circuit. Seemed to work just fine. Sound change was subtle, but I can't say for better or worse for the most part. I haven't done any serious A/B's on them because I haven't had the time. :?
Well that's good that you done it though. Just try some different colors.
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

Gary seems to have just about worn out his welcome over @ MEF, and he was banned from the sewatt community quite a while back. Guess it's pretty hard to learn your lesson if you already know everything. :lol:

Back on-topic.... Merlin has a section on diode biasing on his site under his Triode Gain Stage section: http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard1/gainstage.html
There's a fair amount of examples given if you're inclined to fine-tune your cathode voltages.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
gary

Post by gary »

Those LED biased amps sound OK enough on Parisienne Walkways
markr14850

Post by markr14850 »

I was planning just the power tubes by the way. Sort of like a HI WATT setup only SS.
I'm a bit confused...

Are you interested in a low impedance drive for the power tube grids - like "MOSFET Follies", or "PowerDrive"?

Or are you considering cathode biasing the output tubes via LED?

Or something else?
Structo

Post by Structo »

Dan, an amp I am going to build which is called the Simple Single Ended Amp uses a current regulator.

This is what it uses.
http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/98704.pdf

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/IXY ... svIA%3d%3d

How this amp uses it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

diode bias is fun, there was a AUDIOEXPRESS articular some time back that
went over a led biased tube pre for computer etc.
you can convert dual triode to diodes, works pretty well.
you can also get some incredible nonlinear distortion. great fuzz tone.

you can also dress a 12au7 as a simple series regulator, why not SRPP?
lazymaryamps
TheGimp

Post by TheGimp »

If you are talking about replacing R10 and R20, go for it. In an audio amp it is a great way to reduce distsortion.

In a guitar amp, you will have the minor issue that you can not bypass it with a cap to control frequency response.

If you are talking about replacing R17 and R27 with diode arrays ala RLD amp, it will also work fine since this is a Class A amp.

IIRC, LED Biasing only works with class A.