Ceriatone Dizzy 30

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Ceriatone Dizzy 30

Post by M Fowler »

Anyone have one of these amps?

I built one from left over parts from other TAG members: PT, OT & choke from one guy and chassis/component kit from another member.

I did not use CC resistors and maybe should have! The amp is really brite, good volume in channel 1 and the EF86 channel 2 is equally as brite, much louder and has the tone caps on a rotary switch. I might change out the tone caps on both channels.

Master volume is switched.

Looking for a Gabkits Matchless combo cabinet for this if any one has one to sell, otherwise will have to order from Gabi.
guitarmike2107

Re: Ceriatone Dizzy 30

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Having built a similar pre amp I would say those 180pf bright caps are a bit too big. Though apparently the amp that it is based on is also very very bright
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Mike thanks for the post. I will have to do some youtubing tonight and see what the Matchless sounds like again. I did that awhile ago but now that the amp is built I need to explore.
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

FWIW, a local studio we recorded at had one and we tried it for about 20 minutes. In our situation, it was simply too bright. I'm sure it would have worked better in a different musical situation. Apples and oranges, when compared to the Marshally amps we normally use.
Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I built one a while ago - bought trannies from West Labs, but got everything else from Nik.

It is pretty bright, but totally useable.

I have an SG with P90s and a 50's spec tele (med-low output pickups), and the only adjustment I really need to make when swapping guitars is to the Cut control.

The EF86 channel is not terribly good as is - for me, YMMV - I was hoping for something more like the DrZ preamp.

I've just built a Rockster with bits I got from RJ, and have been thinking about modding the DC30 clone to run cleaner, and change the 2nd channel around... sort of a Rocket, and a StangRay in one box...

Post by M Fowler »

Yeah the amp doesn't impress me one bit but since there is a lot of wiring in one of these amps I decided I need to make it usable. :lol:

The cap choices can be changed for one and I will start looking at the DC30 schematic as well.

The Zwreck, Stangray, or Rocket are much better amps.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

guitarmike2107 wrote:Having built a similar pre amp I would say those 180pf bright caps are a bit too big. Though apparently the amp that it is based on is also very very bright
Oh Man....I was just telling a friend he should build one of these.
Are you saying there are two Bright Caps.?
I see one around the volume knob. Is there another one some where.?
Thank You

http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20heav ... 30_old.pdf
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

hired hand wrote:
guitarmike2107 wrote:Having built a similar pre amp I would say those 180pf bright caps are a bit too big. Though apparently the amp that it is based on is also very very bright
Oh Man....I was just telling a friend he should build one of these.
Are you saying there are two Bright Caps.?
I see one around the volume knob. Is there another one some where.?
Thank You

http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20heav ... 30_old.pdf
The other volume knob.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

There is the 180pf on the volume pot that could be lowered a lot as well as putting in a DPDT switch and run 100pf and 180pf on the switch.

The tone caps could be changed as well.

To clean the amp up a bit on CH I remove the 25uf/25v cap V2 could reduce the gain or lower the V1 plate.

CH 2 EF86 channel could be reduced to 220k on the plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Ok normal channel only, I have no experience with the EF86 channel, here some things to try if you are building one

Build it without the bright cap first, I actually thought it sounded good that way, I did end up adding a bright cap though, I think it was 47pf or maybe 100pf. But try and see what you like, it adds a sparkle that will suit some styles and not others. 180pf is just too big IMO.

The other thing you can try is use a 1Meg pot instead of the 500k pot, then put a 1Meg resistor (or to taste) on the pot from the wiper to ground, What this does is changes the ac load that the coupling cap sees and will give you a little more bass at lower volume settings and roll it off at higher volume settings to keep it tight.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I replaced the 180pf caps on both volume pots to 47pf each. That opened the amp up great.

Then I changed the .0022uf cap on the Cut control circuit to .0047uf.

The only thing I think I might do next is either remove the bypass cap on the V2 bias or lower the value of the plate resistor from 220k to 150k on V1. channel 1.

Channel 2 EF86 circuit sounds good with early break up.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

Nice job....there is A Lot going on in there. That is way too nice of an amp to be un-happy with. Good to hear a few simple "mods" is all that was needed.
If you don't mind me asking, do you get your filter caps from Doug Hoffman, or some body on TAG.?
Thank You
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks I appreciate your post.

I get caps from Hoffman, Mojo, CE Distributions, Turretboards.com, Mouser, and rjguitar. To keep a good stock on hand and for such a variety of amps that I build I have to source many places.

The 33uf 450v caps I believe are from CED

Mark
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

M Fowler wrote:Thanks I appreciate your post.

I get caps from Hoffman, Mojo, CE Distributions, Turretboards.com, Mouser, and rjguitar. To keep a good stock on hand and for such a variety of amps that I build I have to source many places.

The 33uf 450v caps I believe are from CED

Mark
The Usual Suspects.....10-4.
Thanks
milkyBK370

Post by milkyBK370 »

I have just ordered the parts to build a DC30 based on Ceriatone's layout. It's good to know some of you guys have had prior experience. Will definitely have to refer to this thread again if I find that the amp is a little too bright when I get it built.