wima caps....where should i try them?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

iknowjohnny

wima caps....where should i try them?

Post by iknowjohnny »

I was reading that thread on caps where one or 2 people mentioned WIMA caps. That struck a chord befause i seem to recall having some, and sure enough i found i have some 400V .003's and .047's. These are as was mentioned the MKP 10 type. Where might these be good (or at least make a very notable diff that i MAY like) in my JCM style build where i now have mallories? I would have posted in that thread but i didn't want to hi-jack
KellyBass

Re: wima caps....where should i try them?

Post by KellyBass »

I just know they're a very popular polyprop with the HiFi crowd. I've also seen them in some of my favorite bass preamps. I'd be curious as well where they would be useful...maybe in a Hiwatt style bax stack!
This message has been printed using 100% recycled electrons.
TheGimp

Post by TheGimp »

the .003s are a tad small for most applications, however there are some circuits using .0022 coupling caps. Reduce the following grid resistor by a factor of 1.5 for the same response.

The .047s can be used as coupling caps in most designs where .022s are used by cutting the following grid resistor by 2 (2.13). This gives you roughly the same time constant so the tone will be pretty much the same tone.
iknowjohnny

Post by iknowjohnny »

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant .033

Anyways, i tried them in the tone stack to replace the .022 mallories and it sounded like cr@p. Not sure how much the value difference had to do with that but after that I just didn't have any desire to try them elsewhere.