anyopne built a Allen amps Hot Fudge with nuts?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

anyopne built a Allen amps Hot Fudge with nuts?

Post by M Fowler »

Wondering how the Hot Fudge with nuts amp sounded?

Tonight I drilled out a cheap ebay 19 inch chassis to use my Hammond organ PT and OT in.

The Hammond PT is 325-0-325 with 5U4 rectifier. The OT was for a pair of 6V6's. I was very happy with the Hammond AO-35 reverb amp transformers so if this one is as good as that one, might make for a nice amp.

The organ came with a pair of 8 ohm 10 inch speakers so I am going to reuse the baffle board and make a combo cabinet.

So basically looking at building a PP 6V6 amp.
dave g

Re: anyopne built a Allen amps Hot Fudge with nuts?

Post by dave g »

Isn't it basically just a 6G3? Not that there's anything wrong with that - they're real raunchy little rock-n-rollers.

Another cool idea might be to make a 2x6V6 Rocket, but cascade the leftover triode into the 1st stage a la the Plexi 1-wire mod. Give that tube its own input jack and gain control. You'd have a "Normal" input which would just be a 6V6 Rocket, then you'd have the "Hot" input which gives you an extra gain stage in the front. Add a master volume coming off the tonestack and throw it in a 1x12" combo cab with a greenback or a G12H30.

Just thinking out loud. Although I may have to build one of these for myself :D
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Yep I too have got trannies (in my stash) for a 6G3, which has been on my to-do list for a couple of years. Curious about the Allen Mr Fowler (I'll swap you an old flame schematic for one of those HF schematics).
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have the layout for the HF but no schematic.

Is it alright to post the layout?

I have the Old Flame layout as well.
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

I built one of the HF with nuts amps a ways back. I loved it, a great sounding amp. Similar to my 6g3 - love em both. I was thinking about building another, but I have too many as is! Paired with a 2x12 filled with cannabis rex (cannabi?), it was just a great sounding rig.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I looked at some other circuits like the 6V6 plexi but I am going to stick with this Hot Fudge w/nut looks like a fine amp.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

This weekend's project is the Allen amps Hot Fudge w/nuts using my Hammond organ PT and OT which ran a pair of 6V6.

325-0-325

The chassis is a $20 ebay item and I will built a combo cabinet with the orignal 2-10 speaker grill/speakers to see if they will work out or not :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Coool face plate Mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks, maybe I can get the board done this weekend.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

tubeswell wrote:Coool face plate Mark
Yeah......I was just going to say how nice that looks. The graphics are stamped into the metal face-plate.? I wonder how that process works with the two different colrs....... :oops:
Anyway.....very professional looking.
Funny the different things we use to off-set the differences in transformers when we tip the chassis' upside-down.
Nice Job....like always. :)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The faceplate is www.frontpanelexpress.com

I design the panel with their software and they engrave the black anodized aluminum. You can have about five different colors andoized. The engraving can be left like I have unfilled or filled with color (more expensive). This one was $54.00

Mark
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

M Fowler wrote:The faceplate is www.frontpanelexpress.com

I design the panel with their software and they engrave the black anodized aluminum. You can have about five different colors andoized. The engraving can be left like I have unfilled or filled with color (more expensive). This one was $54.00

Mark
Oh.....OK
I thought the lettering was white. Is it actually silver (aluminum) colored.?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yes the black anodized is milled and lets the natural aluminum come through.

You can have that filled with say white to really accent the panel but I rarely do that. :)

The attached faceplate, an Express combo, the faceplate design is from a member francois2000 and I added my name. This one is filled with white material in all the engraving. Adds quite a bit to the cost so this one probably was $72.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

What I don't understand about these Hammond organ transformers is how the hell does a small OT like that put out such good power and tone?

The last set I built a Marshall IIB out of and that freaking thing is so loud I switched it to 5Y3 rectifier tube and 5751 preamp tube to tame it.

To look at this small OT one would think I better order something bigger but we will see. :)

Mark
Alexo

Post by Alexo »

M Fowler wrote:What I don't understand about these Hammond organ transformers is how the hell does a small OT like that put out such good power and tone?

The last set I built a Marshall IIB out of and that freaking thing is so loud I switched it to 5Y3 rectifier tube and 5751 preamp tube to tame it.

To look at this small OT one would think I better order something bigger but we will see. :)

Mark
Fletcher-Munson curves - a big ot gets you more bass, but it's those upper mids that really sound the loudest, just a thought.
Life is a tale told by an idiot -- full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

...in other words: rock and roll!