Hotrod deluxe into a JTM 45....can it be done..........

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Brad166

Hotrod deluxe into a JTM 45....can it be done..........

Post by Brad166 »

Iv got a Hot Rod Deluxe and its not up to snuff in my opinion. But I have a populated JTM 45 board with no where to go with it. I was thinking why not use the chassie and cab from the Hot Deluxe and build the JTM 45 guts into it. No big problem there, but can i use the Hot Rod trannys? I know Ill need to convert it to solid state rectifier, but beyond that would there be a problem with using the OT and PT from the Fender HD Deluxe??
Thanks for your help everyone!!!
yurka

Re: Hotrod deluxe into a JTM 45....can it be done..........

Post by yurka »

Brad166 wrote:Iv got a Hot Rod Deluxe and its not up to snuff in my opinion. But I have a populated JTM 45 board with no where to go with it. I was thinking why not use the chassie and cab from the Hot Deluxe and build the JTM 45 guts into it. No big problem there, but can i use the Hot Rod trannys? I know Ill need to convert it to solid state rectifier, but beyond that would there be a problem with using the OT and PT from the Fender HD Deluxe??
Thanks for your help everyone!!!
I am pretty sure all HRD amps already have solid state rectifiers. The chassis and trannys are probably the only thing you could use.
Brad166

Post by Brad166 »

Right its asolid state rec in the hot rod ckt. I ment I know the JTM uses a GZ34 and the Hot Rod tranny has no 5 volt tap so Id have to us a solid state.
Normster

Post by Normster »

The PT is kinda puny but OK for 5881s or 6L6s. Don't try EL34s. Not sure about the OPT. The one in my Blues Deluxe is about the same size as a Vibroverb and suffers the same lack of bass response. That said, I used the stock iron and speaker in mine with an AB763 circuit and it sounds MUCH better than the stock circuit.

The photo shows it running with EL34s and Trainwreck iron, but I put the stock iron back in and run it with 5881s now. (Put the TW transformers to better use in another amp.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
briane wrote:... it really is a journey, and you just can't farm out the battle wounds.
Brad166

Post by Brad166 »

Hey that looks great Normster.

I thought it would be a fun little project and not cost anything realy since Iv got the JTM board, pots and sockets laying around doing nothing. Hmm Ill have to see it the HR deluxe has a choke. I dont relay want to spend any extra money to do this so we will see.

Thanks for the pic!!!!!

Brad
Ian444

Post by Ian444 »

The schematic shows a choke and power output 33W into 8 ohms.

Thats one thing I like about guitar forums, power is not a concern, its all about sound. :)
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I think you can use about any generic choke in the 3-20H range, as long as the mA rating is OK. You can usually buy them fairly cheap on eBay.
Normster

Post by Normster »

The Blues Deluxe does have a choke. Based on size I'd guess it's a 125C3A (Deluxe Reverb). My reasoning going into this project was that it probably wouldn't sound like a BF Twin, but it would sound better than a stock Blues Deluxe.

FWIW, Andy Fuchs did a Marshall conversion of HRD and it sounded great. I think he may have swapped out the OPT but left the PT in place. Either way, if you're not happy with the HRD, it'll be a fun project.
briane wrote:... it really is a journey, and you just can't farm out the battle wounds.
orrong65

Post by orrong65 »

Rather than convert a disappointing stock HRD into another amp, I instead cleaned it up and made a few changes and what we have now is the best sounding 'hot' amp on the floor.

The ic capacitors really are garbage, and replacing all those with MKP or MKSs and the small ceramics with silver micas makes an enormous difference. Add to that a few parts changes and the master pot change.

Now I have a really good sounding amp with great definition, top end sparkle and that great HR family bass. Perfect for a Jensen P12R.
Its all about the tone!