Volume swap On A Rocket

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

angelodp

Volume swap On A Rocket

Post by angelodp »

Doing some work on my rocket and the 500A ( Volume ) pot thread broke on me. Its a long shaft and I do not have a replacement. I do have a 1 Meg that I could throw in there. Would replacing the 500KA with a 1MA screw up the works in this amp?

Ange
dave g

Re: Volume swap On A Rocket

Post by dave g »

Yes, you will move the -3dB point of the first stage down by a factor of 2, giving you more bass.

This may or may not be a problem, and you may like the sound better with the extra bass (I actually like using a 1MA volume pot and a .001 or .002uF coupling cap for even more bass). If you want to maintain the same frequency response, change the first stage's coupling cap to 250pF.
angelodp

Thanks

Post by angelodp »

Thanks, I was a afraid of that.

I took the bloody thing out and pressed it back into the body and then super glued it.... back in amp the and working. Jeeessss!

I put in the PPIMV... will post tomorrow
Last edited by angelodp on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M Fowler

Re: Volume swap On A Rocket

Post by M Fowler »

I used the 1 meg in a recent build sounded good.
amplifiednation

Re: Thanks

Post by amplifiednation »

angelodp wrote:Thanks, I was a afraid of that.

I took the bloody thing out and pressed it back into the body and then super glued it.... back in amp the and working. Jeeessss!

I put in the PPIMV... will post tomorrow
Master, eh? Cant wait to hear the results of that
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
angelodp

1 meg

Post by angelodp »

I did use the 1 meg but found a bit a high end shrill that I was not keen on, so I put a 1.1m in parallel on the pot to bring it back to 500K. To my RR scarred ears it sounded better.

ange
amplifiednation

Re: 1 meg

Post by amplifiednation »

angelodp wrote:I did use the 1 meg but found a bit a high end shrill that I was not keen on, so I put a 1.1m in parallel on the pot to bring it back to 500K. To my RR scarred ears it sounded better.

ange
wait, i thought you put in the PPIMV??

no?
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
angelodp

yep

Post by angelodp »

Taylor, yes indeed I did and really like it. I pulled the long shaft out of my volume pot and tried to fix it ( too much tightening to the face-plate ) to no avail. I only had a 1meg on hand and tried it. It did sound ok, but I felt the 500k was more to my liking.

PPIMV is pretty cool. You can crank the volume to 5 o'clock and then use the MV to bring in the dirt. So the amp can now go from clean and chimey to crunch, to dirty. All good tones. Throw in the manipulation on the guitar Volume and its a huge range.

A