Source for Magicparts Transformer???

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ic-racer

Source for Magicparts Transformer???

Post by ic-racer »

I spent a few hours looking for a TF170, TF130 and TF155. Web hits just route me back to the Magicparts/Ruby website, which is a dead end. Emails to them offering to exchange money for transformers have not been returned.

Perhaps these are only sold to third parties and are rebranded and marketed as something other than the alphanumeric designations above and I am just not searching with the correct moniker??

Anyone ever bought one of these?
ToneMerc

Re: Source for Magicparts Transformer???

Post by ToneMerc »

Magic Parts usually sells to dealers only. I might be wrong, but I believe MP got out of the transformer part of the business years back and the TF series is no longer available. I think most of the stuff was rebranded Pacific iron.

The couple of pieces I purchased came either from dealers old stock or eBay.

TM
dreric

Post by dreric »

I have a wholesale account at Magic Parts (long story). They like phone orders and faxes, the online order form is under construction for 3-4 yeas now.

I talked to them a few months ago when the 183 brew ha ha was happening. The TF### numbers are their part numbers, not numbers from the manufactures. Currently, there are carrying the Magnetic Components line. Their whole sale price is the same as buying direct. They didn't have any old stock laying around.

HAD made quite a few amps with the TF130 etc. transformers. At the time of these amps Magic parts was carrring a different line. Somewhere in the TAG / 183 threads there's a refernce to who the manufaucter was.

There's a little mystery as the TL130 is the twin reverb PT, not rated for a 4 EL34 amp such as the 183. Some say there were over-rated transformers............

Hope this helps

Eric
dreric

Post by dreric »

Circa 2000-2003 the TL-130 was made by

http://www.tmitransformers.com/

(from ultraphoenix) in the 183 thread

Eric
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

interesting stuff dreric. I did not know that.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

I have not followed the 183 threads, but now I see that it is TF170 also. The one I'm working on is based on a later HRM with EL34.

Thank you dreric that is what I needed to know. I'm going to go with the Classic Tone products. I'll probably order them today.
dreric

Post by dreric »

ic-racer wrote:I have not followed the 183 threads, but now I see that it is TF170 also. The one I'm working on is based on a later HRM with EL34.

Thank you dreric that is what I needed to know. I'm going to go with the Classic Tone products. I'll probably order them today.
Jason (jboarders) did a run of twin PT with increased heater ma and a tap for the relays. They were heyboers and came in at $120 for the PTs. He's sold out but I'm sure heyboer would make a one-off in the $150 zone.

The Magnetic Components stuff is hard to beat $$$ and the quality seems to be there. Which models are you going to use for your EL34 build?

Good luck!

Eric
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Classic tone numbers:
40-18026 for the output and
40-18004 for the power
40-18003 for the choke

I did my 124 style amp with Hammond, but for this one I thought I'd try something different.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

I hesitated on getting the Classic Tone OT and actually found a real TF-170. I was a little anxious waiting for the box, not knowing what I would be receiving.

It looks like the real deal. I will still probably use Classic Tone components for PT and Choke as lightning probably won't strike in the same place three times :)
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

I found out yesterday that another company also was contracted to make the TF17x series output transformers. I inquired today about the possibly of obtaining a TF170 from them.

TM
David Root

Post by David Root »

Tonemerc, any luck with that source? It seems that the TF130 PT was designed as a replacement for the Showman PT, ~470V plate, not the Twin at ~440V. That's a significant difference I think.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

David Root wrote:Tonemerc, any luck with that source? It seems that the TF130 PT was designed as a replacement for the Showman PT, ~470V plate, not the Twin at ~440V. That's a significant difference I think.

David, I had ran across some TF17x output transformers that were made by Heyboer. However when I asked, they did not recall making a TF170 output transformer.

However, that's no big deal if you want Heyboer to make you a PT. Every D clone that I've built I used a custom Heyboer PT in one form or another. I did pick up one of Jason's because it was very close to the ones that I had been ordering and it was immediately available. I normally order the HT windings at 340 or 345 @ 500 or 535mA and the filaments @8A.

I don't have the pdf from Jason's tranny in front of me, but this was it for the most part. The only thing I'm not 100% sure of was the relay tap. I can't remember if it was 350 or 500mA.

Pri: 120V
Sec: 340@450mA, 55V bias
6.3@500mA?
3.15-0-3.15 @ 7A

Mike
David Root

Post by David Root »

Thanx Mike, I have the standard M-C Twin PT 40-18004. 320-0-320 @ 450mA. I thought it might be a little short on the HT, I'll have to call Heyboer I guess.
xenrelic

Post by xenrelic »

I have a used Dumble TF-170 output transformer that was removed to be replaced with a TF-135 years ago. If anyone wants it, hit me up.