Switchcraft MILSPEC Phone Jack

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

John_P_WI

Re: Switchcraft MILSPEC Phone Jack

Post by John_P_WI »

Keystone makes fiber washers for this purpose.

Check out mouser, 534-3069 and 534-3223. You'll need both one for the outside and one for the inside.
FunkyE9th

Post by FunkyE9th »

Thanks, will put those down on my next mouser order.
David Root

Post by David Root »

I isolate the send and receive jacks of the loop and I use two shoulder washers. In a steel chassis I sand one down a bit so I can get a tight fit of the jack to the chassi. In a 1/8" aluminum chassis this shouldn't be necessary.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I'm pretty sure I got my insulating collar and washers from McMaster-Carr and cheap.
FunkyE9th

Post by FunkyE9th »

Thanks guys. Looks like I have several options. Will also check mcmaster and Ace. Got a few of those Ace HW in the are so will probably check that out also. Got a lot of my screws and nuts over there.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Swi ... axbqtxU%3d
They look like a TRS jack. Is that for the switching.? Is the switching different on these than a standard, mono, Switchcratf that uses switching from the one tip connector.?
Thanks
David Root

Post by David Root »

They are the same as a regular tip shunt jack except the tip to shunt contacts are large inserts silver plated and the tip and shunt soldering terminals are pre-tinned.

Cannot tell from looking at it but I would not be surprised if the tip and shunt are a better grade of material ie stiffer than the normal commercial grade.

These are also made in USA and I do not think the commercial ones are any more, I have had too many failures starting about two years ago.

I'll not be using anything else from now on.
azatplayer

Post by azatplayer »

Ive been having soooo much trouble with regular switchcraft jacks, for a long time. So much so that i switched to cliff jacks. But i use, as a de rigueur, the long shaft SC jacks, but have for some reason been having a lot of failures lately. At 3 bucks each, i might as well pay for the 5 buck option if it is better.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

David Root wrote:They are the same as a regular tip shunt jack except the tip to shunt contacts are large inserts silver plated and the tip and shunt soldering terminals are pre-tinned.

Cannot tell from looking at it but I would not be surprised if the tip and shunt are a better grade of material ie stiffer than the normal commercial grade.

These are also made in USA and I do not think the commercial ones are any more, I have had too many failures starting about two years ago.

I'll not be using anything else from now on.
Hey David -
Thanks for the info. Yeah, about 2 years ago, I started rebuilding a bunch of SF Fenders that were donated to me (Thanks Pat). It was a GREAT way to learn. But I noticed all my Fenders had problems at the input. All those problems turned out to be Switchcraft jacks that did not measure right for the Two 68k resistors. Once they were in the amp, there was a bunch of problems with the "switching" on those jacks. I was seeing a failure of 30% when I ordered 10 at a time. So I actually started using Cliff Jacks. Problem with those was that they are a slightly bigger diameter, so I had to use a Un-Bit on the chassis' to accommodate them.
Now, with your help, I am going to try the old style phone jacks again.....but they are expensive.
Oh Well......Amp building is Cheap, Fun and Easy :)
Thanks Again
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

Damn, I was just about to scoop some up off ebay for my next build, and they are all gone!

That must have been you guys. :lol:
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
David Root

Post by David Root »

Not me! I got mine from Mouser. Never even thought about EBay. Should have.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

David Root wrote:Not me! I got mine from Mouser. Never even thought about EBay. Should have.
I never thought about E-Bay either. After it is all said and done, seems like Mouser would be close to the same price.........but maybe not.?
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

They were about $3 each shipped on eBay. All gone now, at least from that seller.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

Oh Wow....!!!
That is almost the same price as a "regular" jack