Clone Orange Retro 50

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

milkyBK370

Re: Clone Orange Retro 50

Post by milkyBK370 »

Nice work. It'd be cool to hear how this sounds in both modes. Thanks for sharing the layout and schematic.
desu boi

Post by desu boi »

The ground connection on the IEC connector is fixed to one of the IEC connector screws.

Also the ground wire from the IEC connector is the shortest one running from the connector.

Dangerous, and also a code violation.
alvarezh

Post by alvarezh »

Nice Mark, congrats!

Perhaps you can lead me on this, I have an Orange Rocker 30, you probably already know how hard is to get schematics on the web or from Orange for their recent models. Do you happen to know of a source where I can buy the schematic?

Anyone else?

All the best.
Horacio

Play in tune and B#!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Alvarezh this the only thing I have http://www.orangefieldguide.com/ and there is no Rocker 30 listed.

I have the schematic for Rockerverb 50?

Mark
alvarezh

Post by alvarezh »

Thanks Mark, been around there and everywhere, no dice.

My best hope is someone on this forum who works for an Orange dealer with access to the schems, or to provide me with some info on how or where I can buy them.

Many thanks again.
Horacio

Play in tune and B#!
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

desu boi wrote:The ground connection on the IEC connector is fixed to one of the IEC connector screws.

Also the ground wire from the IEC connector is the shortest one running from the connector.

Dangerous, and also a code violation.
Agree to the first one. The ground connection from the IEC connnector should

1) be soldered to a lug attached to a dedicated ground screw at least the size of M4, with a contact plate or lock washer which cuts into the chassis, and secured with a nut;

2.) have a bigger diameter (i.e. lower number wire guage) than the other IEC socket wirings so that it burns last.

One must also observe the color code (in Germany it has to be green/yellow).

As regards to shortness this is more relevant with a fixed mains cord. With an IEC socket you would expect the cable to pull off the socket first.

Cheers Stephan
shane

Post by shane »

Hi Folks
I think I spotted a couple of minor errors in the layout drawing.

One of the 68K resistors in the cathodyne should be 1M (the one connected to the top of the 1k8 from the .068).

And the wire from the cathode bias resistor should go to the selector switch not to the EL34 cathodes.

Otherwise an excellent layout thanks!

Cheers
Shane
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

Very cool Mark!
I love the old Orange amps.
Built almost as well as the old Dave Reeves Hiwatts and that glorious massive punch. Looks like you've done this one proud.
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

desu boi and Stephan,

Not sure which picture your looking at because the green IEC wire is attached to solder lug on chassis with #6 machine screw and keeps nut on my amp.

Mark
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

Mark,

I just rechecked the second picture you posted, and from that picture you did it exactly as I stated. That connection is safe and I cannot see a conduct violation from that.

Sorry if my earlier post caused any confusion.

Cheers Stephan
rowla

Post by rowla »

M Fowler wrote:I built this amp a while ago but the thread was recently discovered and questions asked so I decided to just post the schematic and layout. :)

Mark
For some reason I can only see the pics and layout when I access this page from the forum search..! Sorry for the redundant PM Mark. This is a great build, thank you
Turret

Post by Turret »

I decided to draw the layout for this amp not knowing this tread before

I have an access to Retro 50 picts that was sent to me from my Facebook's page fan, and none on this nor the other I seen I cannot see 100pF cap across 100k V2 plate resistor. @M Fowler - that cap on your plans, is this anti parasitic oscillation mod to your project, or it is something that you had in actual Orange amp you traced?

Below my layout in progress. I will list your name in my plan's acknowledgements along with Juanjo's who sent me the pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Facebook Page with my amp plans
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Hi Mark. Do you still have this wonderful amp? I was just wondering if yes, do you still like the sound? I built an orange amp emulator pedal, and I still love that distinct sound.....and are you retired yet? :D
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Here are some photos of a Orange Retro 50
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

And photos of a clone Orange Retro 50