7868 tube

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gary sanders

7868 tube

Post by gary sanders »

I bought a nice old Conn organ yesterday.Works and sounds great.I took out a GE 7868 power tube to look at it,and dropped it.It freakin broke.Is there anyone that still makes these or would any of you guys happen to have one for sale?
Herec

Re: 7868 tube

Post by Herec »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Wurlitzer-7868 ... 522wt_1168

Not my auction, seems like a very reliable seller though.
Trout

Post by Trout »

gary sanders wrote:I bought a nice old Conn organ yesterday.Works and sounds great.I took out a GE 7868 power tube to look at it,and dropped it.It freakin broke.Is there anyone that still makes these or would any of you guys happen to have one for sale?
That has 2 tubes in the power amp right?

You should really get a matched pair.
Unfortunately, the 7868 is a lesser common tube and fairly prized in some vintage audio gear.

You can get NOS 7868's but they are expensive, like 35.00 each even at discount/volume vendors
http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/vacuumtu ... -9006.html

New production choices are limited.
http://www.tubedepot.com/eh-7868.html
passfan

Post by passfan »

Just sold an old Conn chassis with 4 of these on Monday for 100.00 bucks.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
bluesy

You can get new 7868's....

Post by bluesy »

.....that are EH branded. I bought a matched quad for an old receiver. They sound pretty good in that.
________
Buy Iolite Vaporizer
Last edited by bluesy on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gary sanders

Post by gary sanders »

Trout wrote:
gary sanders wrote:I bought a nice old Conn organ yesterday.Works and sounds great.I took out a GE 7868 power tube to look at it,and dropped it.It freakin broke.Is there anyone that still makes these or would any of you guys happen to have one for sale?
That has 2 tubes in the power amp right?
FOUR in this one! ( $$$$$$$ )
gary sanders

Post by gary sanders »

I really want to keep this together because i have always wanted one,this one has a leslie too.But then i think of what an awesome guitar amp that would come out of it. 2 x 12 speakers even.The power trans could be a ship anchor !But I guess I will fix it up and jam some Deep Purple tunes.It sounds really good,.......with all the tubes in it......
KT66

Post by KT66 »

Gary, another thing you could do to get away from using an obscure tube like that is to replace the sockets with octals and go with another tube that is close. 6L6GC ratings are close to 7868, although If the amp is fixed bias you would have to make adjustments of course. Also, 7591A is basically a 7868 in an octal bottle, some of the old data sheets even refer you to this tube when referencing the 7868. JJ makes a version of this tube that is much more reasonably priced than the EH 7868 and I like JJs better anyway. Just remember if you go that route that a 7591 is wired up different from most octals that we are familiar with in guitar amps, so you couldn't use any other tube type.

Also, I pulled some 7868s out of an old Bogen PA a while back, PM me if you are interested.
Ryan

Music is the best. F.Z.

http://Classictubeamps.com
gary sanders

Post by gary sanders »

KT66 wrote:Gary, another thing you could do to get away from using an obscure tube like that is to replace the sockets with octals and go with another tube that is close. 6L6GC ratings are close to 7868, although If the amp is fixed bias you would have to make adjustments of course. Also, 7591A is basically a 7868 in an octal bottle, some of the old data sheets even refer you to this tube when referencing the 7868. JJ makes a version of this tube that is much more reasonably priced than the EH 7868 and I like JJs better anyway. Just remember if you go that route that a 7591 is wired up different from most octals that we are familiar with in guitar amps, so you couldn't use any other tube type.

Also, I pulled some 7868s out of an old Bogen PA a while back, PM me if you are interested.
You know I looked in to that and may do it.Its a Conn,not a Hammond so the "keep it original" factor isnt that big of a deal.I think I actually have two 7591s in the oddball box but Id need four of them. PM sent