need a new DVM

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Luthierwnc

need a new DVM

Post by Luthierwnc »

Hi All,

It is time for a replacement. Any opinions in the "inexpensive but works well" category? Thanks, sh
mshowson

dvm

Post by mshowson »

I recommend the not so inexpensive fluke 179. You pay for it up front but it's the last one you'll ever need.
Does everything well, easy to use and read.
I don't have the time to deal with inaccurate or unreliable test gear.
Anyway, I've used fluke meters for 30 years and have never been disappointed. Having said this, everyone has different requirements and your budget has the final say.
This opinion and $7.95 will get you a latte at starbucks...best, Mark H
selloutrr

Re: need a new DVM

Post by selloutrr »

Sorry It's FLUKE or nothing.
Buy right and it'll out last you.

Try craigslist in your area you might be able to pick one up used.

Fluke offers calibration and service for a small fee.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I think you just got some really good advice on the Fluke.

I had a Triplett 9045 http://www.amazon.com/Triplett-9045-Mul ... B001ULFROW that I really liked, but it died on me finally when I accidentally misused it. It is a very nice meter and it will set you back $60-$90 depending on your luck in finding a discount. For not very much more, you can get a Fluke.

If your needs a basic, you might consider haunting eBay for an older Fluke bench meter that does all the basic stuff well. I've got one that I paid about $20 for. Be careful, though. What I didn't understand is that the ones with the battery "option" don't work without the batteries. Right away, I had to spring for 4 NiCd cells, which put the price of that meter closer to $40.

The point is, there is no free lunch. Bite the bullet and get the Fluke, or go low end and hope it lasts a while. Don't get something in the middle price wise because it is the worst of both worlds -- not a Fluke, but you put too much money into the purchase to give it up.

IMO, all cheap meters are in the same class, so it doesn't matter much which one you pick. I didn't want to believe that, but it's where I ended up in my thinking.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

Thanks guys, I had a nice Fluke once but I incinerated it installing an electric fence. I'll keep my eyes open, Skip
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

selloutrr wrote:
NOT.... They wanted close to $300 to repair and calibrate my 87 meter.

They make a great meter, as I have owned 3 for nearly 25 years. I don't think you could go wrong by buying one.
I Think I Think Too Much !
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

I have a B&K meter that you can get the new version for around $60 - 70. It has capacitance up to 20uF and transistor testing (which is why I bought mine years ago)

I have been happy with it.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Dr-Joned wrote:
selloutrr wrote:

They make a great meter, as I have owned 3 for nearly 25 years. I don't think you could go wrong by buying one.
:shock: You must not be very nice on the phone.. lol
I just had my 827B calibrated and serviced for $100 after shipping.
last October I sent in a 77 I don't remember it being over $50.
XgamerGt03

Post by XgamerGt03 »

Dr-Joned wrote:
selloutrr wrote:

I've never seen a Fluke that was actually out of calibration enough to where it would matter with what we use them for in amps.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

I use mine for studio repairs, matching components, amperage reading, and current draw recording. As well as whatever else needs a meter. The 827B is over kill to start with, I like keeping my equipment running properly. It makes troubleshooting easier when you know your equipment isn't the problem.

It's true you could probably buy it once and never need to calibrate it for basic metering and continuity testing.
XgamerGt03

Post by XgamerGt03 »

selloutrr wrote:I use mine for studio repairs, matching components, amperage reading, and current draw recording. As well as whatever else needs a meter. The 827B is over kill to start with, I like keeping my equipment running properly. It makes troubleshooting easier when you know your equipment isn't the problem.

It's true you could probably buy it once and never need to calibrate it for basic metering and continuity testing.
Oh I mean calibration is good for extreme precision. We do a lot of in house calibration at my job, and we have all sorts of equipment to test calibration. We have never found a fluke that was out of calibration so much that it would matter. I have never seen one off more than .5%, which is fairly good for just about anything.

Only time my fluke doesn't work is when I pop the current fuse.
jon

Post by jon »

I have a few Fluke 8012A's that I bought off eBay a few years ago. They are all rock solid and can be had cheaply. I generally stack two or three so I never have to change functions. They are not new but basically bullet proof.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Fluke+ ... m270.l1313
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/Test-Equi ... timeters/2

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=13&y=12

The Amprobe 35XP is a well made meter. 2 amps is plenty for the inside of a guitar amp.
Best