FOUND IT!!!!

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gary sanders

FOUND IT!!!!

Post by gary sanders »

A while back I was asking about this old OPT.Found out what it was.Its from or like one from a Rockola 1438 Jukebox amp.2x 6L6 with an 8ohm sec and also a 500ohm sec for remote speakers.So I guess its OK for use in an amp if I just tape off the 500ohm taps?

Still trying to find who made these transformers,I saw an Ebay listing that said Thordarson but cant find a number to match the name
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yowza

Re: FOUND IT!!!!

Post by yowza »

It's probably not the same thing but it looks very similar to this one from an old Heath kit tube. Maybe a lot of the older OT's looked like this.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15285
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

It's a potted transformer. They do this so the windings are permanently immobilized and it makes for one helluva rugged transformer. All mil-spec transformers that went inside any vehicle are potted like this. They're typically very high quality and tend to sell for more than their bell-covered equivalents because they are typically associated with higher quality (and they are usually really good quality). Might have a higher isolation voltage rating as well meaning you can run a higher b+ and not have to worry about flyback voltages causing arcing between the windings.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

Say quality one more time...I double dog dare ya! :lol:
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

I cannot emphasize the word QUALITY enough! jk :D

Heh I do that every once in a while when I'm rushing a post. I counted 7 different "definitely" usages in a two sentence spread one time and since then I'm usually more careful about overusing words. I still answered his question you dick :P.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.