Gravity Picks

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

surfsup

Re: Gravity Picks

Post by surfsup »

I ordered a couple picks from Gravity and asked for a sample. He sent me 5 picks total so the total cost is about $2 a pick. So far I like them, much better than the dunlops I've been using. There is a 3mm in there with a rounded edge. I'm a little unsold on that one, I like it for chords but picking the higher strings that are thin is a bit awkward.

I like the larger sized picks (1.5mm RazerXL, StrikerXL, and ClassicXL)

Never tried the jazz3s or Vpicks and my total pick experience has pretty much been what pick options were available at GC...
ampmike

Pick

Post by ampmike »

I got my pick in the mail today,I like it.Im going to get a few but Ill have to be a bit more careful with them at 2 bucks a pop.Dont want to be feeding the washing machine with those prices,Good picks,Mikey
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

omg.. you guys!

I use stainless triangles with a fair point that I add a twist to, and purple Dunlops that I file to a fine point with an emory board.

I have the original Dunlop purple tortex that I believe I bought in 1986. There wasn't a jazz III then, I think, but the profile has changed slightly anyhow. It's tiny by now.

It's got a name. I named it George. The purple is faded a bit, but he still works! hah! I bet I paid 15 cents for that pick! I lost him on 100 stages, and he always showed up again. I love that pick.

New picks? Ewwww! lol George would kill me.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Guys,

Just because you received a few samples the first time doesn't change the price of the picks. As far as I can tell, all Gravity 0.75mm picks are $3.99 and all others are $4.99 and up. There isn't a Gravity pick that is $2. You don't have to worry about feeding the washing maching with $2 picks, you'll be feeding it with $4 and $5 and $11 picks.

Just sayin...
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

I got a couple of the .75 picks, and he threw in a thick one for free.

I was suprised by how much the .75 flex, and how smoothly the thick pick plays.

With the typical fender 351 celluloid, I can play medium or heavy, or even thin if it's strumming on an acoustic. I think with the Gravity I'd have to get one of their thick ones due to the flex of the .75.

Either way, I like them.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
mandopicker

Post by mandopicker »

Wegan picks are really nice. They last a long time and they have a great grip design.

I've use the 1 mm and 1.5 mm Bluegrass Pick exclusively for all my electric stuff. When I play mandolin, I use tortoise, but just too hard and not the right tone for electric guitar.

http://www.wegenpicks.com/images/bluegrasspicks.jpg

A bit pricy, but worth it.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I've heard some people praise the Blue Chip picks but at $35 each, they're too rich for me.

http://shop.bluechippick.net/products/Jazz35-LG.html

[img:220:220]http://shop.bluechippick.net/product_im ... 28_std.jpg[/img]
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

For the demo I set a 30 minute timer for each instrument '71 Fender Stratocaster, '68 Les Paul, '76 ES-335, and '60's Martin Acoustic.

I auditioned 6 Gravity Picks
Classic ( Neon Orange, Neon Green, Red )
Classic XL .75 ( Clear )
Classic XL ( Red )
Razer ( Blue )

The razer (Blue) was nice for jazz picking but the over all thickness never felt comfortable. I was always aware I was holding the pick. I had a similar experience with the Classic i (Orange, Red, and Neon Green) They have a nicely sized shape not so small you struggle to hold it, and not so wide it gets in the way. Though the over all thickness left me feeling detached from the instrument. Making me focus more on the picking and stumbling then the scale or notes I was playing. The Thicker picks add a great amount of authority to the picking and fine finger work. However I disliked the feel and over all stiff tone of the pick when strumming chords. The way energy was directly transfered to the fingers holding the pick was distracting. With no give in the pick the material could be heard in the amplified string noise.
For me, The classic series XL and more importantly the ( .75 clear ) felt the best giving a more traditional feel of a pick. The thinner material solved the earlier issues of stiff strummed chords while still holding firm enough to give consistant pick control. The .75 was still a bit on the thin side .85 would have been about perfect.
Overall I did notice more string noise with the Gravity pick versus a similar Fender or Dunlop pick. Worth noting after 2hours of playing the Gravity picks had some buffing wear on the edges of the tip but held it's shape where the Fender and Dunlop picks start to round off.

As much as I like the idea of supporting USA business and the small operations I don't think I can justify the price point. If they were priced at .50 each I'd say go for it! But at $4+ per pick it's a hard sell. They may very well exceed a standard pick's performance life making the Gravity pick a good deal based on material life, but I struggle to think I'm the only one who is far more likely to loose a pick then wear it out.

I'm going to continue to log the time spent on the Gravity pick and see where it wears down in relation to a traditional pick.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Structo wrote:I've heard some people praise the Blue Chip picks but at $35 each, they're too rich for me.
Some people? These people cause me great concern, and some mental anguish.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Bluechip TAD 100 pick is $75 :shock:
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I got some free sample in the mail the other day... Actually it is the second package that Chris sent out. I let him know that the first package hadn't ever been delivered. He sent out a second package with a tracking number. I thought that was great customer service considering it was a free sample, (no,i did not purchase anything).
The package included a translucent yellow 1.5 Classic, a clear .75 Classic XL and a dark red Classic XL.
I'm glad the .75 was an XL because I love the size, shape and thickness of this pick the best. It has just enough grip for my fingers and not enough to pull the string too much... good balance. My only beef... clear picks are hard to see. I asked Chris about this and he said that the other colors he offers in his other picks, (1.5 and 3mm, etc.) will be available in the .75s soon. Sweet! I will be buying some of these when they are in. Sorry V-picks, these are better... Especially with regard to the noise they make on the string. I like the way they flex too. I can use a little tighter grip and the pick becomes more rigid and bright. They flex about as easy a Fender thin but are quite a but thicker. Again, another good balance.
As far as the thicker picks, (1.5) I will have to let some of the other guys around here (home studio and the amp garage) chide in with comments, as I rarely use them.
Thanks to Tom (Structo) for pointing these picks out. There was Gravity Picks booth at the Nashville Amp Expo but no one was there when I dropped by. I might have missed out. Also, thanks to Chris for getting these out to me, twice!

B.T.W. Any of you guys look at these picks under a blacklight? I'm curious as to whether they glow or not.

Ordered my Pick Punch on Friday, thanks to this thread! The Amp Garage rules!

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
billyz

Post by billyz »

I recently tried the V picks, But I am stuck on these Coolpicks Jazz light( not light) Juratex. They last forever too and sound great. My speed and articulation have definitely improved with them. When I go back to the Tortex and I can now feel the sluggish-ness of them compared to the Coolpick.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah, I used the Dunlop Tortex .88mm green picks for years.

Just never really thought about my picks for years.

Then about a year ago I got a couple V picks as free gifts and I found the concept interesting but for me they were too thick and noisy.
I get kind of a clanky sound out of them when I strike the strings with them.

But I could definitely tell that a bit thicker pick did not hurt my style.

So I went on a pick buying spree and bought a few of each kind of pick to try.
I must have 25 different picks here.
I graduated to 1.0mm gel type picks and liked the Big Stubby 1.0mm red ones.

Then along came Chris and Gravity Picks and I got my free samples.
I was surprised to find that I could pick faster and a bit cleaner with a thicker pick, which was 1.5mm.
He even sent a 3mm pick, I like it a lot too but prefer 1.5mm.

He had sent a Mini Razer which is sized like a Jazz III.
Nice! But I found it a bit hard to hang on to.
So then I tried the regular size Razer in 1.5mm and that was it!

Another thing these have over V Picks is they come in different colors.
I have lost my V Picks many times, usually to find them again but with the Red Razers, I don't have that problem.

So now I have stocked up on my favorite Gravity Picks, best pick in the world. (for me)
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Totally cool to see all the Jazz III style users here! I used black Dunlop Jazz IIIs for years but switched to InTune XJs (also a Jazz III form). They are made of matte finished Delrin and the grip (for me) is greatly improved over the non-flat Dunlop Jazz III, slightly thinner too. Excellent tone.
Macshaft

Picks galore

Post by Macshaft »

I love the Dava control , very versatile . Anyone ever use Merten picks . Used them 30 years ago and loved them . I can`t find them anymore .
Anyone ever heard of these ? :(
Macshaft:)