Turrets are a challenge to solder to

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RJ Guitars

Turrets are a challenge to solder to

Post by RJ Guitars »

Has anyone had any issues soldering to the 3/32" base turrets from CE Dist? I am finding them very challenging and was thinking I had lost my touch when a few other folks reported the same issue?

rj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
guitarmike2107

Re: Turrets are a challenge to solder to

Post by guitarmike2107 »

They are possibly the Chinese turrets, I use and sell them myself, but have also had reports about soldering difficulties when using a lower wattage iron.
I use a 40w Iron as standard and never had an issue, What are you using?

Have you tried cleaning them first
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Interesting coincidence on this thread, rj... :)

I had my iron set to 750 degrees and it would solder but it took some time and was difficult. I worry about heat transfer. Even when it was soldered and the DMM showed continuity, most of the turrets with solder looked like "beads" of water on a wax finish. Don't like 'em at all.

The turrets from AES look the same (very shiny) so I asked RJ where he got his. I don't want to order from AES the same product. The watts turrets are great, but I've had issues with watts sending me turrets that were previously used as new (you can see they were flared and pulled out, the tops also had teeth marks from pliers)...
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

I am going to bet you are correct on all counts...

They are probably Chinese. We were looking for a bargain in attempting the $100 Champ project. These were a few cents each where the normal turrets I get from Mouser are 4-5x the price. When we went on to build bigger better amps and kept the board and turret selection the same.

I was successful in building a few amps by using more heat than usual, but I didn't really like the experience although the amps work well.

I did not try cleaning them but would definitely say that it's a good idea. I might even hit them with some scotch-brite before I tried it again.

thanks for the note,

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

maybe they are lead free turrets?

bring back lead.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

hit them with a fine grit sand paper before you start to solder.

Higher heat will achive the same result but that heat will aslo be transfered to the component you are soldering in.

Consider using a clip on heat sink to help redirect the heat away from the component.

I've had the same frustration. I'm really not impressed with the off shore quality and the good ones are getting harder to locate.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Structo

Post by Structo »

Maybe take some steel wool and wrap it around the turret and give it a few twists to clean them.

Unless they are an alloy that doesn't take solder.
Wouldn't that be a kick in the nads.

Every once in a while the Chinese really sucker punch us.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

I find that 60/40 solder 'wets' better than 95/5, or other lead free solder, maybe thats part of the problem?

John
yowza

Post by yowza »

I'm getting ready to start this week on soldering my Eagle Supre together.
This build is going to be my first experience with turrets as before now I've only used eyelets so this is very good to know.

Thanks for the head's up!
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Independent flux applied with a Q-tip...do not breathe it in.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have been having problems as well but mine are from Ken Watts.

My older stock of CED and Hoffman seem good.
Last edited by M Fowler on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

I'd assume that the turrets would be made the same way and out of the same material regardless if they were meant for leaded or lead free applications unless rohs mandated some material change across the board.

non-leaded solder does require a significantly higher melting temperature.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

M Fowler wrote:I have been having problems as well but mine are from Ken Watts.
Mark,

Can you confirm if your turrets from Watts are his new "custom made for Watts" double turrets with the wider ID holes? I called Keystone to see if they could confirm that they were making them for Ken, but they had no part number on file. Ken's site says that the new, larger ID double turrets are Made In the USA so presumed that they were a custom spec coming from Keystone.

[political_rant]Yes, the Chinese (gross lack of) quality is a pervasive problem affecting our country and jobs. I personally do not buy anything Chinese made and I no longer support US companies that are complicit to sending jobs oversees in exchange for poor quality products, counterfeit products, toxic metals in children's toys, melamine in pet foods and baby formula and every other egregious violation of trust.[/political_rant]
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Yeah, I had an attack of turrets syndrome. I'm a reasonably compulsive guy so imagine my consternation when I couldn't solder. Doubting even my equipment, I bought a new soldering iron thinking that my temperature control had gone out - new tips too. Tried liquid flux...

Arggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I can get the iron plenty hot - the turrets just defy wetting so all the solder just flows right through the turret.

So yes, there exist turrets not intended for soldering. What ARE they intended for??? I dunno.
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

I had the double and singles from watts and they soldered very easily.

I rarely buy chinese anything, or foreign anything except my car b/c detroit screwed me twice on that one. Though I hear its getting better.