Tube amp books

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Cliff Schecht

Tube amp books

Post by Cliff Schecht »

I've got a ton of cool old tube PDF's. While a lot of these can probably be found on Pete Millett's website (www.tubebooks.org), he has a LOT of books on there and it is a chore sorting through them at times. I figured I would post cool PDF's as I come across them, like the ones below. Lots of neat circuit ideas, preamp pentodes and novel tube choices. The Briggs book covers everything tube amp (including tone controls and pickups) in decent detail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
brentm

Re: Tube amp books

Post by brentm »

Wow man. Thanks!!! I was going to ask on here where to get started.. in terms of taking some basic understanding of electricity to application in amps...

Thanks!!!
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Timely thread, anyone care to comment about this book for the first time builder? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/075065695 ... 908&sr=8-1
Merlinb

Post by Merlinb »

jeremyb wrote:Timely thread, anyone care to comment about this book for the first time builder? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/075065695 ... 908&sr=8-1
This is mainly written for hifi, so its not especially useful for guitar builds. Still interesting though. Check it out on Google books to get a flavour:
http://books.google.com/books?id=uY55VJ ... CDwQ6AEwAA
camerongrieve

Post by camerongrieve »

Thanks for posting those Cliff. I've been to Millet's site before and been bamboozled at the quantity of information there.

In regards to "Building Valve Amplifiers" by Morgan Jones - there's a copy in my tech college that I've flipped through, but it seems mostly directed at the construction methodology, and somewhat angled towards HiFi amps.

Jones has another book which I think is titled just "Valve Amplifiers" that seems to deal more with the theory and design aspects, but I haven't had a look at that.

Personally I have a hard time digesting information on the computer, I much rather have a book to read and refer back to. Printing out the ones Cliff has shared would appear to be a great starting point :-)

Someone here recently recommended "Principles of Applied Electronics" by Ben Zeines which I received recently, haven't had a chance to get stuck into it yet but it looks good.

So much to read :-0
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

Very cool, Thanks Cliff

Todd
David Root

Post by David Root »

Thanx Cliff!
Kagliostro

Post by Kagliostro »

Thanks for sharing the Book

the first link is ok

the second and the the third download but the files are corrupted :(

Kagliostro
yowza

Post by yowza »

I'm on a Mac and got the 2nd and 3rd books to download and expand correctly but I had to change the file names to get rid of the underscore and three extra numbers at the end. For example one of the files was named practical_amplifier_diagramstubespart1_502.rar, get rid of the underscore and 502.
The two files should be named practical_amplifier_diagramstubespart1.rar and practical_amplifier_diagramstubespart2.rar and when you unrar them they will open correctly at least they did on my computer.

Thanks for these Cliff!
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

yowza wrote:I'm on a Mac and got the 2nd and 3rd books to download and expand correctly but I had to change the file names to get rid of the underscore and three extra numbers at the end. For example one of the files was named practical_amplifier_diagramstubespart1_502.rar, get rid of the underscore and 502.
The two files should be named practical_amplifier_diagramstubespart1.rar and practical_amplifier_diagramstubespart2.rar and when you unrar them they will open correctly at least they did on my computer.

Thanks for these Cliff!
TFT :) Is there an app for 'un-ara-ing' them? Stuffit expander didn't work on mine (but it could be an old version of stuffit expander)
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Thanks Cliff, but my computer doesn't know what to do with a .rar file. Adobe reader doesn't work; says the file is corrupted.
renshen1957

Post by renshen1957 »

martin manning wrote:Thanks Cliff, but my computer doesn't know what to do with a .rar file. Adobe reader doesn't work; says the file is corrupted.
Hi,

See if you can locate a copy of 7zip, it supports rar files.

Best Regards,

Steve,

PS Thank Cliff, Kudos, too many tube books, to little time.
yowza

Post by yowza »

tubeswell wrote: TFT :) Is there an app for 'un-ara-ing' them? Stuffit expander didn't work on mine (but it could be an old version of stuffit expander)

http://www.unrarx.com/
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

yowza wrote:
tubeswell wrote: TFT :) Is there an app for 'un-ara-ing' them? Stuffit expander didn't work on mine (but it could be an old version of stuffit expander)

http://www.unrarx.com/
Cool! that worked! What a funky old book! Thanks Cliff. :)
He who dies with the most tubes... wins