Hammond enclosure

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

surfsup

Hammond enclosure

Post by surfsup »

I bought a chassis and cover, but don't seem to be able to locate the four mounting screws in the box. I don't recall seeing them either. Anyone know if the screws come with it?

Anyone know the sizexpitch? Seem like#6 but i can't tell if the chassis holes are tapped...
Structo

Re: Hammond enclosure

Post by Structo »

When I built my Dumbleator I used one of those boxes.

The screws were not included and I can't remember if I had to drill the holes or not but I used sheetmetal machine screws.
Be sure to drill the holes undersized because I had trouble with the screws stripping the holes.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Ok I guess I'm not crazy. Yea I emailed Mouser and Hammond both, good luck getting an answer...right?

Yea I don't see how one can attach this without either pretapped or sheetmetal screws. I'll figure it out I was just wondering if I shoulda gotten some machine screws or not.
FYL

Post by FYL »

Anyone know if the screws come with it?
"Hardware not provided, please order separately - Part number 1421J6 (Pkg. of 6, 6-32 Philips head screws)"

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg21.htm
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

I think I'm going blind...didn't even see that

Regardless, there's only 4 screws on mine, not six, and 6-32 don't fit because those are the screws I tried yesterday.

So seems I got something that is not even on their website because it has four holes yet the mfg# is identical.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Take a sheet of paper (tape two together if you need to) and stretch tight across the open chassis. Poke holes where your screws go. Drill the bottom plate from the template you just made. Use self tapping sheet metal screws if you can make them work. If not get any of a number of clip on thingies that will accept a regular #8 or #10 machine screw. I think there was a thread on the thingies (I don't know what they are called) very recently. http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Its no big deal. I already have four OEM-drilled holes. I tried to insert a 6-32 screw into these and it didn't work. The holes match the coverplate so I'll figure it out

In case, I do have some of these too.

[img:259:200]http://cdn.sigma.octopart.com/533984/im ... -PK100.jpg[/img]
ampbldr2

Post by ampbldr2 »

surf were do you get these clips from and what are they called?
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

They sell em at home depot in one of the drawers of specialized stuff. Captive nut is what its called I think, or clip nut. If you show the HD guy that pic he's going to know where its at (as long as the HD guy is not some kid that just smoked a fatty out back)...