Stand Alone Reverb Unit

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jon

Stand Alone Reverb Unit

Post by jon »

Thinking about building a Fender stand alone reverb. I was wondering if it would be ok to substitute the 6K6GT and 1/2-12AX7 for an ECL86.

As most of you know the ECL86 is 1/2 a 12AX7 and a 7/8 size el84 in one envelope. This would cut the tube count down to two (2) from three (3).

Does anyone see any problem with this?
paddy

Re: Stand Alone Reverb Unit

Post by paddy »

Hi Jon,

I'm not sure that doing this will reduce your tube count. The schematic shows a single 6K6 pentode, a 12AT7 and a 7025. The last two equate to four triodes in total.
The ECL86 will provide one triode, which still leaves you with three (i.e. two more valves).

Cheers,
Paddy
briane

Post by briane »

I just finished up a 6G15H fender reverb unit clone - the 3 tube reverb- and yes it whacks he pants off my 1-tube reverbs Ive built. Just sub out the 6k6 for a 6v6 - straight sub.

I wouldnt try and redesign it - it sounds great as is....So deep and whooshy you almost feel yourself floating on jello ;-)
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
rp

Post by rp »

briane wrote:I just finished up a 6G15H fender reverb unit clone
Did you do a kit or from scratch? What PT did you use? I've been look at building one, most clone PTs for this are too high and for the later SF 6V6 model. Some say it doesn't matter, some think the 6K6 style is a must. Just curious what you did as it sounds like it turned out nice.
briane

Post by briane »

I used a hammond 270EX - was going to use a voltage divider to drop the voltage, but was not needed. Weber also has a PT, he uses a bridge rectifier, I used full wave. You can probably sub out the OT for any cheap single ended....Myself I had some old weber iron so I followed his lead on that one.

Not sure about the 6k6 tube - dont have one to try, and not sure its needed - maybe someday.

blows the pants off the many other styles of reverb I have tried before.

I build evrything from scratch. Once you have a schematic, why pay extra?
rp

Post by rp »

briane wrote:I build evrything from scratch. Once you have a schematic, why pay extra?
Of course, this is TAG after all. If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd still build my own amps. Mo' better, mo' fun.

What is your plate voltage on the 6V6?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I think for the low price the Triode Store has a great deal on a kit.

http://triodestore.com/diy-fender-g15-reverb-k15.html
briane

Post by briane »

I'm running 291 - tried to eek a few more volts, but best I could do, and seems close enough to the 295 speced.

Its a pretty easy build, I used a bunch of old stuff, old chassy, bad layout, and was still great.
rp

Post by rp »

briane wrote:
I'm running 291 - tried to eek a few more volts, but best I could do, and seems close enough to the 295 speced.

Its a pretty easy build, I used a bunch of old stuff, old chassy, bad layout, and was still great.
So 275-0-275 got you 291 with a FW ss rectifier, that's what I wanted to know. People talk like these are finicky builds so it's good to hear yours turned out great.
briane

Post by briane »

Heres a few pics of mine- note was just a one off, for home use so I just threw together a few old things...then crammed in an old 'all purpose cab' I had. anyways a few idea.

main thing I found was to get the voltage right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

You may also want to look at the 'Revibe' circuit, which combines bias wiggle tremolo with the 6G15. But search on the Hoffman boards, there have been some improvements to the original to reduce hum.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
rp

Post by rp »

What pan did you use?
briane

Post by briane »

What pan did you use?
well this was a accutronics 8DB2C1B - a bit deep sounding, but I found I could turn down the mix and dwell and it sounded great - and fit this cab - Can have way too much or be a bit sproingy if adjusted to much.

also used a -what is hard to read but looks like a 4BB2C1A - probably more along normal dwell and mix settings - but not fitting in the cab - less easy to add in too much.

and I think its speced as 4AB3C1B according to the schematic.

yep - getting the right tank is part of the magic of making it all come together - and I was essentially seeing what I could come up with from th eparts bin ;-)
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

For something off-the wall:

Based on the Ampeg Gemini and V amps. It seems to put the verb in the note rather than putting the note through it. Easy project. sh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Luthierwnc wrote:For something off-the wall:

Based on the Ampeg Gemini and V amps. It seems to put the verb in the note rather than putting the note through it. Easy project. sh
Crap, now I'm going to have to build one. I always thought the Ampeg reverb was better than Fender's.

What input impedance for the tank?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.