Transformer differences...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

playonit

Transformer differences...

Post by playonit »

I am having trouble wrapping my arms around something.... you have 3-4 different manufacturers making basically the same transformers... which I assume are built to spec? Lets say the set of iron is for the tweed 5e7 Bandmaster or a Bassman...

If they are built to spec ? what makes Mercury Mag better than Heyboer? or Heyboer better than Weber or Weber better sounding than Magnetic Components. Are they really better sounding?

to much time on my hands tonight I quess :wink: :wink:
I brake for Lard......
tubelectron

Re: Transformer differences...

Post by tubelectron »

what makes Mercury Mag better than Heyboer? or Heyboer better than Weber or Weber better sounding than Magnetic Components. Are they really better sounding?
No. I used Hammond and Mercury, and another brand that I forgot, without making any difference.

A+!
If it works, don't fix it...
www.guilhemamplification.jimdo.com
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

made to spec is a very loose term.
how are the specs measured?
how does it respond to different loads?
etc etc.
Diablo1

Post by Diablo1 »

Power transformers are built to a performance and size spec. They have to delivery some defined B+ voltage at some defined current. They also have to produce a heater voltage and defined current. Some transformers may have better voltage regulation than others. Some may produce more voltage sag under a load, which may or may not be desirable for your amp design. They can use different gauges and specification for the lamination steel. More steel, better steel (M3 vs M5), thinner steel all results in a cooler running transformer. Some transformer companies try to sell you "magic" at a very high price.

The output transformer can influence the amp's tone, and depends on the type of steel, stacking and interleaving pattern, and number of turns of wire on the primary and secondary. There was a transformer shootout on the web where they built a Marshall clone using four different OTs and recording a guitar passage with each. The Mercury transformer did not come out the best, despite the highest price by far.
tubelectron

Re:

Post by tubelectron »

KyleAdam wrote:Electric transformer is a device that is employed in increasing or lowering the voltage of alternating current or voltage. Electric transformers have two sets of coils called primary and secondary coils linked around magnetic fields that work as conductors.To begin with, a power electric transformer can be installed both outdoor and indoor. So, you must offer the transformers with the choice of installation site.
SPAMBOT again ???
If it works, don't fix it...
www.guilhemamplification.jimdo.com
9pins

Post by 9pins »

Opt are more complicated, wire size, type, diameter,insulation type, thickness, construction style, lamination material, potting, gaping....
you can have very different opt that meet the same criteria, but don't jump the shark $$$, just don't go too cheap.
there is a right way to mic a musical saw
sixstringer

Post by sixstringer »

After limited testing, I've found the high priced transformers (you know what that means) are not superior, But, they do have the best advertising.
I've had very good luck with MC, Heyboer, Hammond and Weber iron. I've not tried Edcor yet, but they get good reviews too.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Edcor gets my vote for bluest bells. Beautiful and good iron, too.

musicalpowersupplies.com also makes inexpensive but good iron.
kbperry810

Post by kbperry810 »

sixstringer wrote:After limited testing, I've found the high priced transformers (you know what that means) are not superior, But, they do have the best advertising.
I've had very good luck with MC, Heyboer, Hammond and Weber iron. I've not tried Edcor yet, but they get good reviews too.
Same here ...and that's not say that I've found the referenced "high priced" one to be inferior... just not superior (especially not to the tune of justifying their respective cost)

MC, Heyboer, and Edcor are my typical go to three

Of course the nice thing about Edcor...

...the blue paint goes great with blue tube shields

[IMG:1023:682]http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... 50watt.jpg[/img]
playonit

Post by playonit »

I have 2 identical 5e7 builds one with Weber transformers one with MC.. I prefer the MC equipped one a little more it has a little better definition to my ears but,it also has Sozo Blue caps where the other has Sozo yellow caps if that even matter's to anything :?:

That said, If I never heard the MC equipped build I would be more than happy with the way the Weber equipped 5e7 sounds and honestly if I was blindfold I probably couldn't tell which amp was which.......
I brake for Lard......