Line out question

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

paisley_tele

Line out question

Post by paisley_tele »

Heres what a thought of mine is. On a amp two rock , dumble or that sort how can u put a line out to run into either a iPhone , iPad , iPod. The reason I ask is with t I devices having garage band u can do alot with it but I don't feel the need to mic the amp. And have the people next door saying turn that down (thin walls) so can I run my guitar thru my pedalboard in to a amp and make a line out in the amp and have no speaker attached with out killing the output trans. So at 3 am of something I can run that setup and in my ears I'm rocking but the house is completely quite. This way I still get all my tone from the guitar , pedals and amp just no speaker. How can this be done?
Reeltarded

Re: Line out question

Post by Reeltarded »

You are lookin for a line level direct, but compensated. More of a load box with a reactive response, and a speaker emulation/eq curve.

The Palmer stuff is good.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

This should do the trick it's bare bones. Make sure you give the resistor plenty of air flow. You can add multiple resistors with a switch to give all speaker impedance options. the line out will give you the amp tone before the speaker. you may also want to add a speaker imulator or use a software plug in.

make sure to use high AWG/voltage cable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
paisley_tele

Post by paisley_tele »

Now would the bare. Ones match th high impedance of the iPhone line in. Or would I still need the rig adapter to match everything up. The irig uses a high z input.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

I would make a cable that goes from 1/4" to mini (TRS or TRRS) how ever it recieves the audio. I would measure the signal with a volt meter measuring Milivolts. and adjust the signal as low as it can go and dial up if needed, the program should have documtented somewhere the level that it can recieve before clipping. If it's to loud you can add a PAD to the circuit to bring the level down farther.

As long as no one has an issues about me posting this. Here is a schematic of a Palmer speaker emulator I found on the net some time ago. This would be fed by the line out of the dummy load I posted above. You could then take a 1/4" or XLR out to mini to go into garage band.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paisley_tele

Post by paisley_tele »

Does making and using the line out from guitar thru the pedal board thru the amp with no speaker effect the tone? Or is a waste of time to add the line out to achieve bed room level sounds to record thru garage band and iPhone to head phone or a Ihome adapter to get the sound of all the gear with out people hearing my shit over and over?
husky

Post by husky »

paisley_tele wrote:Heres what a thought of mine is. On a amp two rock , dumble or that sort how can u put a line out to run into either a iPhone , iPad , iPod. The reason I ask is with t I devices having garage band u can do alot with it but I don't feel the need to mic the amp. And have the people next door saying turn that down (thin walls) so can I run my guitar thru my pedalboard in to a amp and make a line out in the amp and have no speaker attached with out killing the output trans. So at 3 am of something I can run that setup and in my ears I'm rocking but the house is completely quite. This way I still get all my tone from the guitar , pedals and amp just no speaker. How can this be done?
Instead of stressing out the amp and tubes just use ampkit+ if you have an iPhone with apogee jam. Stupid easy and sounds pretty good. I never heard any convincing speaker emulators that sound any better unless I is redwirez.

If you try and use a line out of the amp loaded with a non reactive load it will be ok but not great and you would need to record in to the computer and look at redwirez to simulate speakers. But that will only work as a plug in with more serious recording software.. I also use the 11r. Nice unit and is your interface as well as comes with pro tools. Save the tubes for the gigs and serious recording. Check out the apogee, I haven't tried yet but you might be able to go out of the iPhone in to the iPad with a second apogee jam.
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
paisley_tele

Post by paisley_tele »

I got all those app amplitude , ampkit and other garage bands the best but non can create the sound of a descent tube screamer and they all hiss and buzz. There great for when u don't have any gear near u but I want to try to run my amp theu the iPhone and record thru GarageBand.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

husky wrote:...Instead of stressing out the amp and tubes just use ampkit+ if you have an iPhone with apogee jam. Stupid easy and sounds pretty good. I never heard any convincing speaker emulators that sound any better unless I is redwirez.
This is an area where things are in flux, and will no doubt continue to evolve with the proliferation of iPhones and iPads. The first iPhone interconnects were passive, and the active ones aren't very good.

I see there is a new one from Tascam that looks promising, the iXZ, which is self-powered, has switchable high and low-Z input and XLR format for a mic. $40 street.

The iRiffPort from pocketlabworks is a nice looking cable with an active element in its dock connector end, and it has a unique mini phone plug jack located on the 1/4" instrument plug end for headphone monitoring. Nice design, $100 (!), but you can get a $20 break if you show you own one of the other units... an interesting marketing twist.
paisley_tele

Post by paisley_tele »

I bought the line 6 mobile in. And it only works for the mobile pod app. A waste of money.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Honestly nothing so far replaces a natural recording with quality equipment and the ability to loud the room. Have u considered an iso cab? Tracked with a di or your processed signal. Then during the day u can reamp the di and dial in the tone to fit the music.
paisley_tele

Post by paisley_tele »

Can u recommend a di and Iso cab. I will look into that option
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Randall used to make iso cabinets. I had one for a while when I used to practice in a headphone studio. It wasn't bad, but the speaker was a little dampened from being sealed. If size isn't a consideration, build your own and give the speaker room to breath inside the box. If you buy the Randall, upgrade the speaker.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Demeter makes an iso cab.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demeter-SSC-1-S ... 23179239b1

Or I can post pics to build your own it's super easy.

Direct box. Tried and true would be countryman type 85 also in that price range are radial. Step up would be Avalon u5. Then evil twin, gas cooker, Simon systems.

An sm57 would be fine for the iso microphone.
attached is a basic cross section drawing of an Iso cab. I have full blue prints if interested.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »