Carmen Ghia schematic/layout?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Darkbluemurder

Re: Carmen Ghia schematic/layout?

Post by Darkbluemurder »

I believe a schem of the Bad Cat Hot Cat (actually two different versions) is already posted somewhere here in this forum. Best to do a search.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bob

Post by Bob »

Guys:

There's legal, and there's ethical. Sure, Z started somewhere too, but there are plenty of schematics of amps out there that someone doesn't depend on to put food on the table. If you want a similar amp, find an AO35 and modify it to your taste just as he did, but realize that passing around a schematic and layout of the Carmen Ghia may be hurting one of the few guys that are doing new things at a fair price.

Perhaps this forum should take a tip from the pedal builders forums, where they frown on posting schematics of currently produced "new designs" by the smaller builders.

Yes, you guys may just want it to learn, but you may end up passing that schematic on to someone who could hurt Dr.Z's (or Bad Cat's, Carr's, etc) business. That would be bad for us all.

If you think what you're doing is right, ask yourself if you could explain what you're doing to the builder's face, or how you'd feel if you were in the builder's shoes.
Omar

Post by Omar »

Hey guys,
I haven't been following the board as closely as I should lately (been busy with yardwork) and have been made aware of the Dr. Z schematics.

I have removed the schematics. I mentioned the rule during the Komet discussion - Do not post schematics of amps that are currently in production.

I'm no lawyer and I don't particularly care to get into the legality of posting schematics. But from an ethical standpoint, it's the right thing to do.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

Does that mean that we are 100% sure that HAD does not build amps at all anymore?

Just a thought..

tommy
Omar

Post by Omar »

With HAD nothing is 100% :wink: That being said, it is my understanding from a number of postings I've read that he does not take orders from regular consumers. You must be a famous player and he must approve of your playing. Also, there doesn't seem to be a consistent model that he produces. The discussions in the Dumble forum tend to be about variations and mods rather than cloning.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

Pretty amazing really, that you have to be both famous and approved to be allowed to buy an amp from him :)

HAD is one of the people I'd really like to meed, if I ever got the chance to make a whish..:)

i whish Guitar Player would try to make a story about him again...

Tommy
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Tdale wrote:Pretty amazing really, that you have to be both famous and approved to be allowed to buy an amp from him :)

HAD is one of the people I'd really like to meed, if I ever got the chance to make a whish..:)

i whish Guitar Player would try to make a story about him again...

Tommy

Are you familiar with the Seinfeld television show? HAD is like the "soup nazi" character - "No Soup For You!"
DiademRoyale

Post by DiademRoyale »

As a 59 year old ex rock and roll star wannabe who has had the (?) pleasure of actually shaking the hand that soldered an actual!! Dumble Overdrive Special together, IMHO something else would be a much nicer experience to wish for- like maybe a colonoscopy without any drugs, or a sharp stick poked into the eye. He is a JERK, with absolutely no idea what the term "people skills" has to do with, or WHY anyone would even have any desire to be anyone other than HIM. But his own amps were as perfect as any amp could be when they left his bench- not for everyone, but what is? Unfortunately, he let his success swell his brain three sizes larger than his skull before his attitude fully matured. So it's not really his fault,- he is a creation of an industrie's lust-----Right? ......... DiademRoyale
Hot Glass!!+1Strat(or L.P.)="The" TONE!!
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

MarkB wrote:Dr Z contacted the Trinity Amps forum and required that they cease and desist even running a forum based on that amp. I suspect he would do the same here if/when he finds out the schematic has been posted. Some things are better left on the "down low".
I wish he would have the balls to tell him to cease and desist ripping off Hammond organ circuits and threatening people! Original my a$$

Allynmey
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

DiademRoyale wrote:As a 59 year old ex rock and roll star wannabe who has had the (?) pleasure of actually shaking the hand that soldered an actual!! Dumble Overdrive Special together, IMHO something else would be a much nicer experience to wish for- like maybe a colonoscopy without any drugs, or a sharp stick poked into the eye. He is a JERK, with absolutely no idea what the term "people skills" has to do with, or WHY anyone would even have any desire to be anyone other than HIM. But his own amps were as perfect as any amp could be when they left his bench- not for everyone, but what is? Unfortunately, he let his success swell his brain three sizes larger than his skull before his attitude fully matured. So it's not really his fault,- he is a creation of an industrie's lust-----Right? ......... DiademRoyale
I think this is the consensus view. Unfortunately. I knew him long ago. Early 70's. Used to gopher for him in the Santa Cruz shop. He built me an amp. Gave me a Heathkit VTVM which I still have. Your discription of him is far, far from his state of mind then. I found him to be a great guy. Oh well. Who knows why people get wierd. I know they do though, and there are far too many stories about rip offs and other shenanigans to all be balogna. I heard once that President Clinton used to have sex with the corpses of young girls in the ante room off the oval office. I believed it too. Then I found out there is no ante room off the oval office. Stories get started and who knows where they end. Still, I choose to remember Howard the way he was then. I prefer my illusions I guess.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

So can I still get a christmas gift? Any gifzzz would be appreciated. :)

cjrod2004@yahoo.com
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

HAD this, HAD that. Whatever his personality and character - who are we to pass judgement based on gossip or a fleeting meeting, c'mon....it's embarrasing. Have nothing good to say about the guy?- then say nothing.

My 2c
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
drz400

Post by drz400 »

(longtime lurker, great forum!)

You can buy a KArmin Ghia for $1000
It hardly seems worth the effort to make one.
But since the power section is from a Hammond and is very unusual and the person making one for themselves is probbaly never going to sell it but use it for their own enjoyment I dont see the harm in it. It is all in the idea of furthering ones knowledge in the quest for great tone. I think the schematics should not be posted but available as request. Besides half the schematics floating around of amps are wrong anyway.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

VacuumVoodoo wrote:HAD this, HAD that. Whatever his personality and character - who are we to pass judgement based on gossip or a fleeting meeting, c'mon....it's embarrasing. Have nothing good to say about the guy?- then say nothing.

My 2c
Ditto and thanks Aleksander.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.