What would cause heater voltage to rise?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dehughes

What would cause heater voltage to rise?

Post by dehughes »

Hello there,

So, the amp I made is shaping up nicely, again, thanks in great part to your help. Thanks.

I remember measuring and cataloging the voltages once I had the amp up and running for the first time, and looking back I read that each side of my heater wires was putting out 3.14 volts. That seems right....as together that would be 6.28 volts....seems normal, yes?

However, I measured the heater wires again just today and noticed that each side is measuring out at 3.35 volts, which puts the total at 6.7-ish... Is this something to be concerned with? What would cause the voltage to rise? The amp was basically brand new when I measured things (new trannies, caps, resistors, tubes, etc...), so maybe that's part of it?

Lemme know if this is something to look into, or still within normal parameters...

THANKS!
Tempus edax rerum
Zippy

Re: What would cause heater voltage to rise?

Post by Zippy »

Did you measure your source voltage both times? How does that compare? Are these the only voltages to change?
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

Zippy wrote:Did you measure your source voltage both times? How does that compare? Are these the only voltages to change?
I didn't measure the wall voltage the first time....the other voltages seem to be pretty close to normal....maybe one or two volts difference. The tubes have been changed since that first measurement, so maybe that's it?
Tempus edax rerum
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

That's fine. Plus or minus 10% is the general rule. I wouldn't be concerned until it got to 6.9V or higher.
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

MarkB wrote:That's fine. Plus or minus 10% is the general rule. I wouldn't be concerned until it got to 6.9V or higher.
Sweet. Thanks. People on other boards seem to think line voltage is the suspect....could be...maybe I had the air conditioning on when I measured the first time...who knows...
Tempus edax rerum
drz400

Post by drz400 »

dehughes wrote:
MarkB wrote:That's fine. Plus or minus 10% is the general rule. I wouldn't be concerned until it got to 6.9V or higher.
Sweet. Thanks. People on other boards seem to think line voltage is the suspect....could be...maybe I had the air conditioning on when I measured the first time...who knows...
Many times your heater tap is rated to produce 6.3 at x amps
IF you are not pulling those amps it might run higher
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

drz400 wrote:
dehughes wrote:
Many times your heater tap is rated to produce 6.3 at x amps
IF you are not pulling those amps it might run higher
Very good point...thanks.
Tempus edax rerum