Jupiter Cap Quesiton

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rawnster

Jupiter Cap Quesiton

Post by rawnster »

I know, another cap thread. I'm in the process of designing/building el-84 inspired build. In researching for something "different" in the cap world I keep running into discussions about Jupiter yellow Vintage tone caps. I'm curious to know if anyone hear has some experience with these caps. I see that billyz used them. Any others? And what do you think of them. I wanted to get a bunch of vintage sozos, but since they've fallen way behind in orders, I'm looking for an alternative solution.

Thanks!

Ron
I Hate being bi-polar; It's awesome!
Cliff Schecht

Re: Jupiter Cap Quesiton

Post by Cliff Schecht »

They're expensive as shit aren't they? Why not just use Mallory 150's?
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

I use only Jupiter caps in my pedal steel amps - they sound awesome, and the build quality is very high. Plus Chris is very nice and knowledgeable about his caps. They are not inexpensive, but its worth a little extra in my opinion for a quality US made product.

I find that they mellow out the EQ section in a Fender style amp in a way that can not be equaled by orange drops or even the original blue caps. Using the Jupiter caps gives the amp detail and tames the sometimes brittle fender hi end.

I'd be interested to hear them in a British style amplifier - I have only used them in my Fender style builds. Do it!
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

I'd love to try them - wish I had a dealer discount...
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

The beeswax Jupiters have a reputation to be smooth like PIO coupling caps. I'd be worried about heat though.

John
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

yeah, the pricing is a lot easier when you pass the cost on to a customer.

I suggested to Chris working with hobbyists and forum members who are building amps for fun and to use on their own. Maybe he could offer a kit or package to get cost down a little.

I am a dealer, but I think its against the rules to sell the caps for less than MSRP :?
Alexo

Post by Alexo »

Ordered a batch of Sozo standards for an AC30-ish build last week, all shipped out right away. I know they have had fulfillment issues, but they seem on top of it right now.
Life is a tale told by an idiot -- full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

...in other words: rock and roll!
George61

Post by George61 »

From what I gather from the Jupiter website the yellow capacitors are not beeswax paper but are a aluminum foil and polyester (mylar) construction. They seem to be about the same price as Sozo Vintage.
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

thanks for the replies. I'll go ahead and order some and see happens. Yeah, they're really not that much more spendy than the vintage sozo caps.
bluefireamps

Post by bluefireamps »

I've used the Jupiters and found them to be nothing special. Tested in the same amp that I built, I and the owner, preferred the Sozos. Just another man's opinion....... :D
Tube Powered
billyz

Post by billyz »

I just put a set in a Marshall Plexi build for a client. Started with a JCM 800. Removed the Stock circuit board and installed a Turret board. The difference was readily apparent. The client said it was much clearer sounding. He also said he could never turn the treble all the way up but now he likes it turned up. The presence control also took on a new dimension.

He said it took a few days to really open up tonally, like waking up.
The Jupiter Vintage yellows sound good. I tested them and they are non magnetic too.
Previously the amp was loaded with 715p and some 225 orange drops.
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

billyz wrote:I just put a set in a Marshall Plexi build for a client. Started with a JCM 800. Removed the Stock circuit board and installed a Turret board. The difference was readily apparent. The client said it was much clearer sounding. He also said he could never turn the treble all the way up but now he likes it turned up. The presence control also took on a new dimension.

He said it took a few days to really open up tonally, like waking up.
The Jupiter Vintage yellows sound good. I tested them and they are non magnetic too.
Previously the amp was loaded with 715p and some 225 orange drops.
Hey Billy thanks for the note. Have you compared the yellow Jupiter vintage caps directly with sozo vintage? Any thought comparisons here?
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

I haven't compared to sozo but I love the red astron style caps for coupling, and the yellow for the eq.

He's making a .003 for reverb soon - that's the only orange drop left in my steel amp!
billyz

Post by billyz »

rawnster wrote:
Hey Billy thanks for the note. Have you compared the yellow Jupiter vintage caps directly with sozo vintage? Any thought comparisons here?
I have not compared them. They are both very good Caps and I probably could not hear the difference. I used them because of Sozo's poor stock and delivery, not because I thought they were superior,

The Jupiters are built right to start with in my mind, copper leads ( i wish they were not plated) Polyester film and foil . You can play with the shape of the construction to get small changes to the sound, different foil ( aluminum , copper, tin ) change the insulator, polyester, Teflon, paper in dialectic oil. and other things.
It would not surprise me to learn the Sozos and Jupiters are made in the same plant in China. They look similar in shape and size etc.
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

billyz wrote: It would not surprise me to learn the Sozo's and Jupiters are made in the same plant in China. They look similar in shape and size etc.
This was probably a joke but I know for a fact that the Jupiter caps are hand made in the US. That's part of the reason the cost is higher than other manufacturers. Same goes for their speakers.