Hello Amp Garage! Southbay Ampworks introduction...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Scumback Speakers

Hello Amp Garage! Southbay Ampworks introduction...

Post by Scumback Speakers »

Last edited by Scumback Speakers on Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dobbhill

Re: Hello Amp Garage! Southbay Ampworks introduction...

Post by dobbhill »

Welcome, Jim. Thanks for your generous offers. I'm sure we will take you up on them!
D
Scumback Speakers

Last edited by Scumback Speakers on Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
5150loveeddie

Post by 5150loveeddie »

Hey Jim you're here now :D ??!!!!!!!!!

That guy rocks people and so is his cones!!

The very best clone/copy Greenback/blackback type speakers on the planet in my opinion..... I tried most of the reissues/different brand, etc, and the "Scumbacks" ARE the real deal for me, just like the old pre Rolas, rolas, cones...........ANd they cost lower........Try them, my favorite is the Scumback "H55" (equivalent of the G12H30 at 55Hz Greenback)!!
Komet Concorde makes me go banana!!
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

Heya Jim, good to see you around these parts. Your speakers make the perfect companions to the wreck circuit... Guys do yourself a favor and check Jim's speakers out...

I'm running his 65 watt recreations of the original 55hz G12h30's and they are a perfect match (in 1x12 cabs). For 4x12's check out his standard 30 watt 55Hz cones.

Dave Nix
Scumback Speakers

Last edited by Scumback Speakers on Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

Oh My God...we have a Scumbag amongst us...Jimmy...You Prick... :D
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Southbay,

You posted this on another forum:

I'll say this to anyone who thinks they've cloned someone else's amp.

1) Unless it's discontinued and no longer available, you're a thief.
2) Unless you have the amp being cloned right in front of you, you can't clone it 100%, because wiring is one thing. Wire lead dress, position and spacing of components on the board & chassis DO contribute to the tone. Dumble proved that to me 5 years ago in 20 minutes by changing out two caps with the same value caps (but different construction) in my amps, and moving the two star grounding points a total of 2.5 inches on one side, and 1.75 inches on the other. If you don't believe me, just listen to all of the 18 watt and JTM 45 "clones" compared to a real one.
3) You'll never clone the output tranny unless you send it out to be unwrapped, documented and then rebuilt. Mercury Magnetics proved this on to me, as well. I imagine there are very fine OT's that are "close", but not cloned.
4) As in anything electronic, it can age. OT's, caps, etc. go south, go bad, get soft sounding, so anyone who thinks they've cloned an amp has cloned "am amp" at a particular point in it's life, and it's anyone's guess as to whether it was a "Holy Grail" tone amp, or not. Only your ears can decide that.

If the Komet 60 and Concorde have been diagrammed and cloned, that's too bad. I think Ken, Hogy, et al, should get paid for their research work, and not be ripped off by homebrew DIY guys that think they have a right to their work, and then divulge that to the world, just because they're cheap bastids.

Either work up your own original design, or significantly different design, or just save your money and buy the real thing, it's the only way you can show your appreciation for the work that was done for the product, the tone and all that R&D. You didn't do it, you just wanted it, and didn't want to step up and pay what you should have to get it.

Cheap bastids....it disgusts me to think that people would so arrogantly think they've "cloned" what superior builders such as Ken & Hogy have done. Sheesh...talk about having delusions of grandeur....

I think you should just go somewhere else you fucking hippocrit, this is not a place for you.
Last edited by Funkalicousgroove on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Funkalicousgroove

And take your fucking ripped off celestions and Marshalls with you!
Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster »

Welcome Jim, glad to have you aboard.

Allen
Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:And take your fucking ripped off celestions and Marshalls with you!
Geeze, tell use what you REALLY think......
Funkalicousgroove

I'm all for someone with insight joining the collective, but I'm not real cool with being called a thief or a cheap bastid!
Richie

Post by Richie »

Isn't the scumback speakers built by Weber? He has a clone kit building forum. Just seems weird he thinks its not right to clone an amp, but its ok to clone a speaker from someone else,and then have one of the biggest clone amp places build his cloned speakers..

I don't think he really knows much about amp builders.

Either work up your own original design, or significantly different design,
The Wrecks borrow 90% from other amp designs.

Cheap bastids....it disgusts me to think that people would so arrogantly think they've "cloned" what superior builders such as Ken & Hogy have done. Sheesh...talk about having delusions of grandeur....
Yes i think we must all be on mushrooms. :D
Did'nt you feel you could build, or do a better clone of a celestion,than celestion? Amp builders probably feel the same way,or what would be the point in trying. And most will add a touch of their own somewhere along the way.
Funkalicousgroove

The fact of the matter is that EVERY SINGLE TUBE CIRCUIT IN USE TODAY comes from the RCA/western electric Recieving tube guide. Had Ken Bran and Jim Marshall not "Cloned" a 5F6-A bassman there would be no need for your fake Celestions PERIOD.

You know why you can't patent basic tube circuits?? BECAUSE THEY ALL WERE PATENTED IN THE 1930's and 1940's!

Even the patents owned by Randall Smith of mesa Boogie are shaky at best, and could easily be disputed should the need arise, and they only seem to pertain to the switching matrix' not the tube circuits.

it's ALL borrowed circuitry.
Krong

Post by Krong »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:The fact of the matter is that EVERY SINGLE TUBE CIRCUIT IN USE TODAY comes from the RCA/western electric Recieving tube guide. Had Ken Bran and Jim Marshall not "Cloned" a 5F6-A bassman there would be no need for your fake Celestions PERIOD.

You know why you can't patent basic tube circuits?? BECAUSE THEY ALL WERE PATENTED IN THE 1930's and 1940's!

Even the patents owned by Randall Smith of mesa Boogie are shaky at best, and could easily be disputed should the need arise, and they only seem to pertain to the switching matrix' not the tube circuits.

it's ALL borrowed circuitry.

Amen
This post is for entertainment purposes only.