Effect Pedal building

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Re: Effect Pedal building

Post by dorrisant »

Niki, thanks for that. Do you have a schematic, or a link?

Btw... I always find myself playing your clips and leaving it to play for a while... Always very pleasant!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Hey Tony,

Thanks for that. Appreciated.

I used the schematic from this post:
https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/anyt ... post-36710
and this SMPS PCB:
https://frogpedals.com/index.php/produc ... er-supply/

Nothing quite unexpected, but very well-tuned - Simons ear is impeccable in crossing the not-so-fine line between passable and excellent :)

Niki
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I went down the same rabbit hole. I ordered a PCB for the power supply. I wish we were next door neighbors.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

That would have been nice, eh :) You are going to like it, I think and it is very easy to add a jfet stage in front of the tube for some additional heat. That’s how they do some of their other drive pedals anyway.
Niki
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

These get addictive. Did a ZWreck/Rocket type of a preamp with a few adjustments and tweaks. Very happy with the result. Extremely dynamic and reacts great with the guitar volume.
The following sound sample (based on a popular song harmony) is Tele only for the two guitar tracks. Will do some more rock(ish/country-ish) samples at some point as well, but it does sound great with a Tele. Very happy. Will post the schematic should someone is interested.
IMG_1462.jpeg
IMG_1457.JPEG
https://soundcloud.com/synchu/april-of- ... al_sharing

Niki
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

I've had a great time building pedals from schematics and notes at the Runoffgroove website. Many of them are put together by a few guys that are engineers that love their vintage Marshalls, Voxe's and Fenders and get together once and a while to do a "FET-to-Tube" conversion box where they keep the basic amp topology but replace the tubes with Fet transistors, then they tweak the circuit until they have agreed that it sounds the closest to their prize amp specimens that the pedals are set out to emulate. A few of them have lived on my pedal board for years now and I get big compliments on my tones even from other picky guitarists.

I order my components and boxes from Small Bear, Amplified Parts, Mojotone, Digikey, Mouser and some of the other sources mentioned in this thread. Its also fun to build pedals with germanium transistors like the fuzz face. Places like Small Bear have tested through old new germanium transistors and offer the good ones in pairs and trios that have the right characteristics for a good sounding pedal (current leakage, freq response, gain are all assessed.).

Have fun, I sure have,

Best,
Phil D.
I’m only one person (most of the time)
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I used to build my own pedals many years ago when my wallet wouldn't allow me to buy commercial pedals, and only recently have I bought some of the newer pedals. Having been dissatisfied with many of them, I decided to give AION a try - they make some great boards and kits. I've now built 4 of their pedals - a delay, tremolo, Klon-type, and Zendrive-type. They sound fantastic, and are extremely well thought-out and executed, and look good. Price is right, too.

Now I have to build a bigger pedalboard!

DSCN8656a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I just built the Azimuth.
Super kit.
Sounds amazing.
I’m thinking of building more of Akon’s full kit offerings… maybe a klone or fuzz?

I just realized I’ve been running it off the 18v supply on my board…
Should I be concerned about it blowing an op-amp or transistor?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

brewdude wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:29 pm I just built the Azimuth...I just realized I’ve been running it off the 18v supply on my board…
Should I be concerned about it blowing an op-amp or transistor?
Not likely. In reality you are running +/-9V rails. Most op amps can take +/-15V, 2N7000 Vds is 60V.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Thanks for reassurance.
It sounds great at 18v… I haven’t even tried the 9v supply.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Synchu wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:35 pm These get addictive. Did a ZWreck/Rocket type of a preamp with a few adjustments and tweaks. Very happy with the result. Extremely dynamic and reacts great with the guitar volume.
The following sound sample (based on a popular song harmony) is Tele only for the two guitar tracks. Will do some more rock(ish/country-ish) samples at some point as well, but it does sound great with a Tele. Very happy. Will post the schematic should someone is interested.
IMG_1462.jpeg
IMG_1457.JPEG

https://soundcloud.com/synchu/april-of- ... al_sharing

Niki
I have been thinking about a project like this and would love to see a schematic. I've been digging around for Kingsley docs, but 3 wrecks sounds even better to me.

Denzil
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Haven't posted on this topic in a while...

Pic dump:
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

More:
xtian

Post by xtian »

dorrisant wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 pmMore:
That's awesome, Tony! Remind me how you're etching the aluminum enclosures?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

xtian wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:23 pm
dorrisant wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 pmMore:
That's awesome, Tony! Remind me how you're etching the aluminum enclosures?
Engraving them on the CNC. I spray paint or brush paint then block sand to remove extra paint.

I etched them with ferochloric acid using Press N Peel as the mask.