Effect Pedal building

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Re: Effect Pedal building

Post by dorrisant »

Cruise, are you gonna breadboard one? I was thinking about making some pcbs...

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Mark - I built one off of IvIark's layouts. It's very doable - it's nothing more than a TS variant, and the sound is ok. Zendrive clones are fine -

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/201 ... ecial.html
I have that layout and followed links to another build for info but never built anything using a strip board before, wish me luck.

I have an Umble pedal puts out a lot of signal so keep the volume down.
Last edited by M Fowler on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

It is pretty big to breadboard, might be easier just to perfboard it. See, for me to breadboard I have to interpret the schem. and that can get complicated.

I might do it, I don't know.

But I also don't want to solder these FET transistors, so I am waiting for some transistor sockets I have on order to come in.

I am new at this, but built a KlonE with not too much trouble as my first project, and then a Brian May, a Mockman, and I have a Bonnamassa fuzzface on my breadboard right now.
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

M Fowler wrote:
Mark - I built one off of IvIark's layouts. It's very doable - it's nothing more than a TS variant, and the sound is ok. Zendrive clones are fine -

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/201 ... ecial.html
I have that layout and followed links to another build for info but never built anything using a strip board before, wish me luck.

I have an Unble pedal puts out a lot of signal so keep the volume down.
When you do the perfboard - just be sure to plan ahead. Of course do you your cuts first, mark them on both sides (the thing is you are seeing a "mirror image". then do your ties. I also recommend you only pull out one value of resistor at a time so you don't mix them up and print the circuit picture out so you can mark off the parts as you put them in.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Have you tried DIY Layout Creator?

http://code.google.com/p/diy-layout-creator/

You can do your own layout and then print a copy as a guide. Within the app you can specify the names or numbers of the components or their values. You can put a BOM right onthe drawing. I use it for real quick pcb boards for prototypes. Really cool... but it won't export as a Gerber file. So you might have a tough time getting pro boards done.

Looks like there is a beta version 3 out so probably have some cool features I need to check out. If you download it, get the package of layouts too. Lots of cool stuff for Vero and pcb.

I've got a few more too, like a Tremulus Loon... You gotta check those out.

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I just figured out this morning that those drilled holes are to cut the strip, probably seems normal to experienced strip board builders but if I hadn't stopped and studied this very closely I would have just started populating the board without the drilled holes and been screwed.

What is holding the board off the pots in final build?

Red arrow shows miss wired jumper off one hole on the build site. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

hey, i never thought about drilling out the holes to cut the traces! i always just used an exacto knife to cut and scrape, PITA, thanks Mark, maybe i'll start using all the stripboard i bought finally!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Mark, probably double sided tape holdingthe board... ?

Tony
TNblueshawk

Post by TNblueshawk »

Most I know do use the double sided tape with pot condoms sometimes for added protection so to speak. Some will just do the pot condoms and free float it too.
davent

Post by davent »

Good vero tutorials here.

http://www.sabrotone.com/?page_id=386
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2012 ... guide.html
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2012 ... guide.html

For transferring the trace cut positions to vero i printed out a grid underlay to make finding coordinates easier.

[IMG:800:600]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc30 ... 0fabf8.jpg[/img]
dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

What the regulars do is first use a small drill on the non-copper side to make the hole slightly bigger - this does two things: it "marks" the correct holes for when you flip the board over to do the final drilling, and it helps to center the larger drill bit (which you need to completely cut the strip).

I used to drill all the way thru, now I just drill enough to cut the copper strip, then I use a piece of steel wool and an exacto to get the fragments off. Also - at first thought you had to saw the boards in half (if you didn't need a full board), but they are actually thin enough to cut with some industrial type scissors.

The exactly-knife method is (I feel) dangerous. That copper is really stuck on there and I can see a knife slipping too easily as you try to peel it off.

Also - I just happened to have a roll of double-side tape and it works wonders - also good if you need to protect the 1/4' jacks from the board or the switch. (we get better at this as we do more pedals).
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

dorrisant wrote:Have you tried DIY Layout Creator?

http://code.google.com/p/diy-layout-creator/

Tony
Yup, and once I perfected some breadboard circuits I used it to make my perfboard designs. It works well for that, just not so great for making schematics.

Also - Electronic Assistant V4.31 is invaluable for helping you trace resistors and finding codes for caps.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

How anyone can say building effect pedals is fun hasn't been out much. :lol:

I would rather make a schematic and do a proper PCB then this shit.

If this effect works it will be a miracle. :)
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

M Fowler wrote:How anyone can say building effect pedals is fun hasn't been out much. :lol:

I would rather make a schematic and do a proper PCB then this shit.

If this effect works it will be a miracle. :)
Don't be so quick to judge. If you read the comments at the site you will see there are people who build almost every layout there (99% of them?) and they become "verified" as working at that point. There are enough followers that most get verified within 24 hours.

Sure, copying and making a PCB is another approach, but mistakes can also be made there (unless you BUY one) - and where is the challenge in buying one- plus it is hard to modify.

Seriously - look at the build and layout guides for the perfboard pedals. They look very professional when finished to me, and like I said, instant gratification.

Neither one is better than the other as long as they both work, but what I like about the site is the input of people trying different op amps, transistors, cap values, etc. The site doesn't post schematics for copyright reasons, but they will give ideas on where to find them. Do what you want, but I prefer not to overly commit to a pedal until I hear it with my rig.
Last edited by cruisemates on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drew

Post by drew »

eniam rognab wrote:hey, i never thought about drilling out the holes to cut the traces! i always just used an exacto knife to cut and scrape, PITA, thanks Mark, maybe i'll start using all the stripboard i bought finally!
I use a stepped drill bit without a drill - just hold the board in one hand and turn the bit with the other. It only takes a turn or two to get all the copper off.