Effect Pedal building

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Effect Pedal building

Post by Reeltarded »

uhhh oh no i trashed my missile battery control panel too soon
IMG_9606.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:25 am uhhh oh no i trashed my missile battery control panel too soon

IMG_9606.jpeg
Btw... This is a Dwarfcraft (out of business) "The Great Destroyer" clone. Story goes, they ordered the wrong chip for a fuzz (don't quote me on that part) and ended up with a box full of weird noisiness, all interacted upon by the tone and volume controls of your instrument. It is just a few parts, one chip, a couple of resistors and a few caps. The footprint for the pots is actually much larger than the footprint for parts. I have boards for these if anyone might want one. I am looking for an odd enclosure (you guys probably knew that already) to build one in. If anyone has a suggested enclosure they'd part with, please let me know.

Here is a bass demo video... Don't look at his hands for too long.

Last edited by dorrisant on Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It is a freaking transmitter and the unshielded instrument is a receiver. That is some serious bullshit right there. lol

The first thing was amazing. VERY smooth for being so bold.

If 5G caused anal bleeding that is what it would sound like.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Here comes the runway of bad ideas

Or a demilled claymore facing up
IMG_9625.jpeg
Bambi has a ring
IMG_9624.jpeg
Mounted in same box with harmonic percolator
IMG_9622.jpeg
If I only had a gain
IMG_9621.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

TC1 meter. Hi all, I am on a Fuzz tear and I am using the TC1 tester and it compares nicely with the RG Keen DIY tester.

The TCI appears to give the hFE as well and the leakage current.

Just wondering if any others have experience with this relatively cost effective device (tester)?

Germanium PNP's need to settle in if you touch them, but after a few minutes they do read consistently on both devices.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I have played with that tester and mentioned (somewhere) previously that it can measure leakage current on Ge transistors. It's a handy little gadget in general.

Never compared directly with RG's method, so it's nice to hear that they agree.

edit: did you find that the leakage-corrected hfe using the Keen method agrees with the hfe from the component tester?
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Thanks Martin, I know you have built a number of pedals with PNP. Did you settle on a 'magic' hFE for the Q1 & Q2? I have built the Fuller model (other as well), it's nice to have the contour and bias knob in addition to the vol and fuzz. It's that rolled of vol on guitar that killer.

Also wondering if you have built any tube based effects similar to what Kingsley pedals are doing. I know they have a wide range of pedals.

Yes the TC1 does get pretty close to the RG method. I do not know the operating conditions of the TC1 however. The RG method is very cool and I added the little blue component clamp to my RG test bed. I need to figure a good way to have a consistent 9v supply. Any suggestion?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

angelodp wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:53 pm Did you settle on a 'magic' hFE for the Q1 & Q2? I have built the Fuller model (other as well), it's nice to have the contour and bias knob in addition to the vol and fuzz. It's that rolled of vol on guitar that killer.

For the Fuzz Face I built I followed recommendations from RG and Small Bear, hfe 120-150 and low leakage, maybe 100 uA from memory. GE CV7355 Ge transistors. I can't seem to find any documentation on that project, but it was a straight-up FF with no extra controls outside, trimmers inside. Sounds fantastic, dripping with '60's tone. Pictures below. The enclosure was hand painted in Myrold fashion by my son. Must be 10 years ago now.
angelodp wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:53 pm Also wondering if you have built any tube based effects similar to what Kingsley pedals are doing. I know they have a wide range of pedals.
No, not yet anyway.
angelodp wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:53 pm I need to figure a good way to have a consistent 9v supply. Any suggestion?
You could do a regulated DC supply using a salvaged 12VDC wall adapter and an adjustable 3-pin regulator, like this one: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Te ... rvSgPN8%3D
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Nice project, cool kid. I'll bet he is gonna soak up a lot of know how from you.

The Kingsley stuff is great sounding. I'll be looking to see if anyone attempts a knock-off, jump on the band wagon.

He uses a converter to get from 12v to 120vac to run the tubes and more typical voltages of from 150dc to 260vdc.
have you seen that little board, has an inductor I think.

Best A
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

This NE555-based SMPS circuit has been around for quite some time. You can get a PCB from these folks and put one together, then breadboard your pedal circuit. It includes a 6V regulated supply for heaters, and it will operate on 12V for increased B+.
https://frogpedals.com/index.php/produc ... upplypcbs/
https://frogpedals.com/wp-content/uploa ... on-1.1.pdf
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Thanks Martin.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

xtian wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:38 pm Thanks for the etching recipe, Tony!

For this project, I do want the black paint to contrast with the exposed aluminum.

Here's a handsome mascot!

IMG_2163.jpg
Yes... I love this! I am thankful to assist in any simian commerce!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo