swapping components on turrets

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dju

swapping components on turrets

Post by dju »

hi all, I recently built my first amp using a turrot board. I had to swap out some parts after it was assembled which wasn't as easy as I would had thought it would be. does anybody want to share some tips on removing and replacing parts? Specifically my problems were getting the solder out of the turret hole to remove the parts, especially if there were multiple components in the same turret. and then there was the problem after getting the part out but not being able to get enough solder out of the turret to add the replacement component. the turret would look clean enough to insert the component leg but it wouldn't go very far into the hole. I tried using a solder sucker and solder braid. maybe I just need more experience with turrets as I don't have these problems with PCB's.

thanks,
dj
husky

Re: swapping components on turrets

Post by husky »

dju wrote:hi all, I recently built my first amp using a turrot board. I had to swap out some parts after it was assembled which wasn't as easy as I would had thought it would be. does anybody want to share some tips on removing and replacing parts? Specifically my problems were getting the solder out of the turret hole to remove the parts, especially if there were multiple components in the same turret. and then there was the problem after getting the part out but not being able to get enough solder out of the turret to add the replacement component. the turret would look clean enough to insert the component leg but it wouldn't go very far into the hole. I tried using a solder sucker and solder braid. maybe I just need more experience with turrets as I don't have these problems with PCB's.

thanks,
dj
Naturally it depends on how you built the amp. Teflon wire around the posts and parts in the holes makes things easier. Also never feed wires up through the bottom of the hole since they can drop out. Where I make connections to the posts I run solid wire up through a hole next to the turret and still wrap around. All in all though I prefer eyelets. Easier to work on, less solder needed to fill the holes. Also for desoldering not cheap at all but worth it's weight in gold to me. It will clean the solder off anything.
http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Desoldering ... B0028M3U0K
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
xtian

Post by xtian »

I've had success this week replacing components in turrets. You need to heat the turret so the solder liquifies all the way down to the base. I apply the iron to the top of the turret, or the side, and I watch as the metal goes thru its phase change--you can see it crawling down the turret! Meanwhile, I've got a grip on the component's lead with needle nose pliers, and I pull it out as soon as it's free. When all components are out of the turret, again liquify the solder, and use a vacuum to suck it out of the turret. Easy and clean.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

I try not to overfill the turrets. If it feels like I have more componants than will fit without having to force them in with needle nose pliers, then I just add another turret and jumper them together by wrapping wire around the outside. I find that I can add a turret by putting something solid under the solder side and flaring out the back side with an awl and a tack hammer and tapping lightly.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I also perfected the crowned dome of shiny solder on top of the turrets. You have to solder in two or three stages, letting the first solder cool, then adding more, quickly, to the top to form the crown. If you try to do it all at once, the solder will fall right thru the turret!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Wrapping technique is important. A "U" around the turret is good. A "C" around the turret can be difficult to undo. A "J" is probably not good enough to be reliable. A "G" (without the hook, of course) or more is too much wrap. Don't use the hole in the top if you intend to undo it.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

xtian wrote:I also perfected the crowned dome of shiny solder on top of the turrets. You have to solder in two or three stages, letting the first solder cool, then adding more, quickly, to the top to form the crown. If you try to do it all at once, the solder will fall right thru the turret!
That looks cool, I always wondered how it was accomplished.
But from my experience, that is a text book example of How Not To Solder......Way more than necessary. "solder is not glue, just enough to do the job, only there to make an electrical connection, device should work without solder", etc. etc. etc.
Always wondered what some of you guys in the industry thought of that shiny, nicely rounded, solder blob on top of the turrets.
Thanks
teemuk

Post by teemuk »

The "industry" is pretty much all PCB. ...for obvious reasons. :)
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

When I have the shiny solder cap on top of a turret it indicates to me that it is done. This serves as part of a checklist so to speak. I don't depend on it to glue or mechanically bond it anymore than usual. Most of the time I tack solder the components into place. As I go through my checklist with a schematic I put the shiny cap on it to tell me it is finished and all is good beneath that cap.

Bonus... anyone who sees it can see the uniformity. A clean looking solder joint always works better, right? Maybe not, but it does look good.

Does anyone know of a real reason with thus method?

BTW... I agree and practice the same method as laid out by Xtian.

Just my two cents.

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

My only concern with "excess" soldering would be over heating the component.

But...that is what they make heat sinks for...right?!?

Cheers,
Dave O.
ampdoc1

Post by ampdoc1 »

If you have to change a number of items in a single turret, it'd probably be easier to cut the turret off from the top then push the knurled end out the bottom. Stake in a new one and add your components.
dju

Post by dju »

thanks for all of the replies and ideas.
I like the look of the nice shiney solder blobs also but as it was also mentioned there is way more solder than is necessary for the job. and more to have to remove if you need to swap a component. but I have a mix of nice shiney blobs and just enough to do the job on my amp. I'm a non-conformist by not having all of the same type of connections :)

dj
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

You need a reasonably hot iron to do it quickly and without fuss
He who dies with the most tubes... wins