Tube Socket Tricks?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tavda3172

Tube Socket Tricks?

Post by Tavda3172 »

This may seem like a silly question but it's been driving me crazy. Is there a trick to wiring tube sockets that keeps the tube from flopping around? I don't know if I am using cheap sockets but, no matter what I do, the tube does not go into the socket tightly and wiggles way too much to be considered reliable. Has anyone else experienced this or am I crazy? I have never seen any information on this before, so I'm inclined to think that it is a straightforeward procedure. Please let me know if there is some technique to eliminate this. Maybe I'll try some more expensive sockets (hoping that they are higher quality) and see if this solves my problem. Maybe this is why the make tube retainers. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
-Kevin
rfgordon

Re: Tube Socket Tricks?

Post by rfgordon »

Kevin,
You didn't say whether the problem was with octal sockets or noval (9 pin) sockets. Most noval sockets are pretty tight, with ceramics being a wee bit less than most plastic varieties, in my experience.

Octal sockets can vary quite a bit. However, there have been problems with some lots of power tubes having smaller pins. You'll see a couple of the tubesellers taking great pains to tell you they aren't selling the slim pin tubes. So you might try a different brand of power tubes to see if they fit tighter. Sometimes you just have to install tube retainers.

I'm not sure how wiring them up would effect the tightness on the pins, though.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Pin sockets can sometimes be tightened by prying out the leaf with a dental pick or similar device. it's called retentioning. Of course, the voltage needs to be drained before you can safely do this.
Tavda3172

Post by Tavda3172 »

Thanks guys. I am about due for another set of tubes anyhow so I will try a different brand. In the meantime I will try retensioning the sockets I have now and will also order a set of retainers just in case. I used the term "wiring" for lack of a better term; basically I mispoke myself. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.
-Kevin