ECL86 Reverb schematic

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bob-I

ECL86 Reverb schematic

Post by Bob-I »

Since there's no general files section I'll post this here.

I put this reverb into an amp I just completed based on the Plexi ckt. There's an extra gain stage instead of 2 channels.

This reverb was taken from a Marshall 2046 schematic. This amp drives the reverb from the first gain stage then returns it after the tone contol. Since my amp doesn't have this layout I had to be creative on it. The amp is....

Gain stage -> gain control -> gain stage -> voltage divider -> gain stage -> CF -> tone stack.......

So I took the reverb drive from just before the voltage divider then returned it after the voltage divider. Worked out well so I included the 470K blend resistor in this schematic.

This reverb is creamy and fat without being sprongy and over the top like the Fender type reverb. Somehow that reverb just doesn't sound right with this much gain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aharon

Re: ECL86 Reverb schematic

Post by Aharon »

Do you have a schem of the whole amp?.
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Sorry Aaron, I didn't see your post. I'll get the whole schematic posted later.

Ok, not a Dumble but here's the schematic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aharon

Post by Aharon »

Thanks Bob-I.
I wanted to see how you implemented the ECL86 reverb into the amp........this one has been a little mystery for a lot of people.
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Aharon wrote:Thanks Bob-I.
I wanted to see how you implemented the ECL86 reverb into the amp........this one has been a little mystery for a lot of people.
Thanks
Aharon
Ahh... then why didn't you just ask that question. :wink:

I first tried it by taking the send from just after the first gain stage and returning it after the second gain stage. It was weak and fuzzy. I tried several value in balance resistors, the 470K bypassed by the 500pF. I settled on these values just by trial and error. On the scope the 470K is a cleanest, and by ear the 500pF gives the righ amount of upper mids.

I'm now working on a Dumble HRM using this same reverb.
Aharon

Post by Aharon »

Looking forward to that,I was building another amp and decided to go for a D-Lite but including reverb.I have the chassie and everything drilled and have no room for another tube so I'm really interested in the ECL86 reverb as a solution for my dumble lite.
I don't thik I have the know-how to work this out for myself so I will follow your lead if you don't mind.
In the meantime I will start laying out a board and finding other parts for the project,I have PT/OT/chassie etc.....board is ready (sort of a universal board)for parts.
Thanks again.
Aharon
Aharon