Question-how to solder several 18 g wires into small holes

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

yowza

Question-how to solder several 18 g wires into small holes

Post by yowza »

I'm talking specifically about soldering the several 18 gauge wires from power transformers that typically need to be soldered into the small holes on fuse holders and power switches. It seems every amp needs to have multiple 18 gauge stranded wires soldered into these holes. The holes will accommodate two stranded 18 g wires but three just won't fit so how do you make this work?

Thanks!!
sliberty

Re: Question-how to solder several 18 g wires into small holes

Post by sliberty »

I haven't had the need to do this yet ... so I am not sure when it would come up. But the simple solution is to solder the PT wires to a terminal strip, whose holes are larger, and then run a single wire to the fuse holder.
yowza

Post by yowza »

Thanks I should have mentioned that I was trying to NOT use terminal strips. I know I can use them as a last resort but but it always seems like a kludgy fix especially in this case where the wires have to do with AC coming into the amp.

I have a Mojotone JTM 45 kit that I'm putting together that needs two black wires from the PT and another wire from the pilot light to all be soldered into one hole on the fuse holder, they won't all fit.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I don't know their layout. However, here is a link to the Ceriatone layout, and as you can see, this is not the only way to skin that cat. One wire in, and one wire out of the fuse holder, as it should be.

http://www.ceriatone.com/images/layoutP ... iatone.jpg
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

yowza wrote:Thanks I should have mentioned that I was trying to NOT use terminal strips. I know I can use them as a last resort but but it always seems like a kludgy fix especially in this case where the wires have to do with AC coming into the amp.

I have a Mojotone JTM 45 kit that I'm putting together that needs two black wires from the PT and another wire from the pilot light to all be soldered into one hole on the fuse holder, they won't all fit.
May not be the best solution, but you could use a small piece of appropriate guage solid wire to form a loop. Solder the loop the the fuse holder and the other wires to the loop. You could use a trimmed lead from a cap or something.
yowza

Post by yowza »

mhartman wrote: May not be the best solution, but you could use a small piece of appropriate guage solid wire to form a loop. Solder the loop the the fuse holder and the other wires to the loop. You could use a trimmed lead from a cap or something.
This is exactly what I thought about doing with a piece of 18 g solid buss wire but this is probably just as kludgy a fix as using a terminal strip. I'll need to look at it more closely but I don't think the Ceriatone layout will work with the power and standby switches I have on hand. On the Mojo PT (made by Heyboer I think) you need to tie two 18 g stranded black wires together to get one side of the 120v tap. I've attached the Mojo layout drawing.

Thanks again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NickC

Post by NickC »

If holes are too small, and if there's sufficient metal on the part, I sometimes drill them out to make them larger. Simple and no additional expense.

I also like using terminal strips, and don't consider it a kludge.
Jana

Post by Jana »

+1 NickC

Your use of a terminal strip can actually make it look it is a feature--since your PT has multiple taps for line voltage, bring them all to a well-placed terminal strip. Then if anyone ever wants to wire it for a different line voltage, all the connections are right there on one strip. It's not a kludge--it's a feature! :) Charge extra for it too, lol. j/k
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Never ran into that kind of problem before only with filament wiring and used a terminal strip.

Switches with solder terminals have more then enough room.

Mark
Super_Reverb

Post by Super_Reverb »

One way to do this is to solder the wires together neatly with a feed wire that will solder into the fuse holder terminal (maybe 20guage bus wire?) and then place two or three layers of shrink tubing over them. +1 on terminal strips: I use them on power tube sockets for screen and grid resistors.

rob
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

If the holes in the terminal I need to use are too small (like in some lamp-holders), I use a nearby terminal strip to mount all the connecting wires to, and just run 1 wire to the small-hole terminal. (See the 2-terminal tag strip near the lamp in this pic)

[img:417:606]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5075/7156 ... e8c8_z.jpg[/img]
He who dies with the most tubes... wins