well that sucks. headphone trick issues

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wsaraceni

Re: well that sucks. headphone trick issues

Post by wsaraceni »

She is aware.

I figured out the issue. Im an idiot but I'll post anyways to maybe help someone else. If you use stereo headphones, and make a jack with a stereo jack solder one wire to the left lead. The other to the ground. I had one to each lead and nothing to ground. Noise was a lot worse. After fixing this the stock location worked. Just moved around a little and slightly off center worked nicely
paulster

Post by paulster »

I made a little adaptor with a stereo 1/8" socket connected to two pieces of wire with alligator clips on the ends. One wire went to the shield and the other went to the tip and ring (left/right channels). Makes doing this really easy.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Haha, glad you were making a mistake. Looks picture perfect now -go figure.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

im glad too. there is definitely some hum. but it's much less than i was hearing, and much less than 1/4" closer to the transformer.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Glad you got a better result.

Sometimes it's good to go back to square one and verify the method.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Wanted to add an observation to this Headphone Trick page.

After positioning and mounting the PT and OT, separated by three inches, I started to position the choke between the two, still listening to my headphones. I discovered that the position of the choke in respect to the PT and OT significantly influences the amount of hum exhibited by the OT! In fact, I was able to INCREASE, as well as decrease the level of hum (versus the baseline hum with choke not present) by changing the orientation of the choke.

Remember, the choke is not connected to anything! Just the coil of copper is bending the magnetic field generated by the PT.

So I found the best place for the choke, where it cancelled some of the hum, and bolted it into place. I can't guess what will happen when current is running thru the choke, can you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
briane

Post by briane »

So I found the best place for the choke, where it cancelled some of the hum, and bolted it into place. I can't guess what will happen when current is running thru the choke, can you?
xtian - should be fine - looks like a typical layout for one of my builds.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds