Fender Blues Deville 212 rattle/ringing experiences?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Fender Blues Deville 212 rattle/ringing experiences?

Post by Reeltarded »

There is a special place in Hell for the people who made these amps a reality.

There is a static condition that I cannot isolate. Crackle and pop, sometimes whirring howl hiding in it that doesn't take off, all of this from any vibration on the chassis. The noise happens with all controls at zero, pronounced-n-loud! Yikes!

It had a known problem that I repaired without having ever plugged it in. The cement resistors needed reflowing and a little attention in that area.

Then I turned it on. omg

Delicately tapped with an eraser on and around everything. There must be a record of this very failure mode, but God knows I can't find anything in the amp, nor on the web about an identical problem.

If you touch anything in there it all goes to Hell. No localization to an area, nor a component. it really freaks out at the first preamp tube, but then again it raises cane with the master off.. I already worked the loop, that's fine.

Umm PCB isn't fixit friendly. Any ideas?
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
xtian

Re: Fender Blues Deville 212 rattle/ringing experiences?

Post by xtian »

The famous Bill M <http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=115> identifies trouble with the ribbon cable between boards on these Fender models (HRD, Deville, etc). There can be oscillation when the cable is dressed wrong. Moving it can help.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Thanks for the reply. I don't think that is THE problem here, but from my experience with this amp, it's definately A problem with them. I haven't found much that ISN'T a problem, honestly. lol
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
RB

Post by RB »

The phase inverter resistors on the tube sub boards would be a good place to start. Replace with a higher wattage good quality part. I have found many of these toasted/cracked many times on this series amp. I have also had bad filter caps on the preamp nodes display this condition on these amps.

Regards
Randy
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Thanks for the tips. I'll look there as well.

I am certain that it's two contributors to one horrible condition. That makes my head pop. heh