Dr Z with VVR (Bedroom Amp?)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

doveman

Dr Z with VVR (Bedroom Amp?)

Post by doveman »

After trying to figure out the VVR on this very powerful 32 watt (no way!) amp, I'm real satisfied with it. Here's some doodling with the VVR backed off and the Route 66 settings at 2:00 across the board. Any Dr Z guys know that these settings will be too loud for many gigs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXJdRnFe_0

I need to get a jam with it soon. Thanks again to those who helped with the VVR troubleshooting.

8)
Colossal

Re: Dr Z with VVR (Bedroom Amp?)

Post by Colossal »

Doveman,

Great job; I always enjoy your videos. The recording captures the low end and that wonderful overdrive starting to creep in on the edges of the notes. Sounds really good. At about 3:25, reminds me a bit of Knopfler's tone (that heavy, skidding midrange honk made even smoother by finger style plucking). Nice!
doveman

Post by doveman »

Colossal wrote:Doveman,

Great job; I always enjoy your videos. The recording captures the low end and that wonderful overdrive starting to creep in on the edges of the notes. Sounds really good. At about 3:25, reminds me a bit of Knopfler's tone (that heavy, skidding midrange honk made even smoother by finger style plucking). Nice!
Thanks for the comments. The one thing the Route 66 has is this real throaty low end but it's tight. I like adding just a bit of shimmer to the top end with an RC ... as the RT66 is sort of a mid-range amp. Overall ... it works. There's just tremendous amount of different textures in the tones. But those power tubes have to be cooking first ... these volumes/settings would be two loud for most gigs even if the VVR wasn't engaged. Pleased but you guys got to watch my struggle to get there ... and actually helped me through it.

:D
DR.Z

Post by DR.Z »

Nice job Doveman.
Video sounded very nice , you sure added to usability of the RT 66.

Might be something I should look into.

DR.Z
doveman

Post by doveman »

DR.Z wrote:Nice job Doveman.
Video sounded very nice , you sure added to usability of the RT 66.

Might be something I should look into.

DR.Z
Thanks Dr Z ... I always wanted a Dr Z. I bought this amp head used and your 32 watts knocked my socks off. I was struggling with the amp a bit but I could tell it had the sounds. I tried the attenuator ... didn't really work for me. Decided to put in this VVR based on the positive outcome on my 30+ watt Richter Supra-Luxe. I struggled with it a little not being an amp tech ... blowing the mosfet. But I made my way through it with the help of the guys here. Finally, seeing my error ... simple adjustment made it right. It's all documented here and on the Z-talk website. I wanted to make sure others could find it. I really do like the amp ... I could tell that those 2-2-2 settings were the neighborhood I wanted to live in. VVR was about $50 and my time. I'm loving the amp now ... tamed but all that muscle is still on tap.

The guys at Z-Talk told me not mess around with it. It's like church. They don't like people monkeying around with your wiring schemes at all. It is a beatuiful amp ... simple ... wiring is something that can be appreciated by the guys here for sure. But I'm glad I made the changes. I think this type of technology would be a nice add ... but I got mine.

:)