Teflon Hook Up Wire Euroland Sources? What Is Silicone Wire?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rp

Teflon Hook Up Wire Euroland Sources? What Is Silicone Wire?

Post by rp »

Before moving here I made a mistake not stocking up from Bulkwire.com. I haven't been able to find a local or internet source here for cheap PTFE 18 and 20 awg equivalent hookup wire, especially one that sells lengths around 25' (7m). If any of the Europosters here can direct me to someplace it would be very much appreciated.

For now I've found this,
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/produc ... ellow.html
and I will be ordering from them for all my parts, btwn them and TAD they seem to cover most of what AES and Mojo carry.

But what is Silicon wire? I assume it's high heat resistant like Teflon? Are there any peculiarities/differences btwn it and Teflon (or PVC) I should be aware of?

And, is 0,5 mm2 the equivalent of 20awg? They seem to have two methods here of measuring gauge, mm and mm2. I have this conversion chart but I want to avoid making a mistake ordering.

I'd hate to blow 30€ on wire I can't use or hate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Re: Teflon Hook Up Wire Euroland Sources? What Is Silicone Wire?

Post by martin manning »

Wire gauge and sq mm chart: http://www.hmwire.com/New%20PDFs/Americ ... .15.10.pdf

Silicone wire is high-temerature tolerant and very flexible. It is used for meter leads and patch cords. I don't think I'd like to use it for hook-up wire as it probably wouldn't take a bend and stay put.

The wire you linked says silicon... I don't know what that's like.

Didn't see your chart at first... 20AWG is 0.81mm dia or 0.52 sq mm.
El_Martin

Post by El_Martin »

Hi!

Most of my parts are from tube-town TT. I use silicone wire usually. Its easy to strip and takes some touch by the soldering iron w/o hurting the insulation.
Right, it does not stay where you put it like solid wire. For such purposes I use push-back wire. TT and TAD have been reliable sources for tube amp projects for years.
Lots of the HV wires dont need to be too large in diameter, since they dont carry heavy current.

Ciao
Martin, right in the middle of Germany
rp

Post by rp »

martin manning wrote: Silicone wire is high-temerature tolerant and very flexible. It is used for meter leads and patch cords. I don't think I'd like to use it for hook-up wire as it probably wouldn't take a bend and stay put. The wire you linked says silicon... I don't know what that's like.
I meant to write Silicone but either I forgot how to spell it or been in Euroland too long, didn't even notice it was labeled Silicon. I was hoping it wasn't like what was on the leads of my Fluke, that definitely wouldn't stay put. I just had my old electric oven apart to see if I could find what was throwing the RCD/GFI it and it's all silicon(e) wire in there too I now realize. Don't think I want to deal with it in an amp. Might order a meter from TT just to see what it's like. This project now gets wired with my old Kimber TCSS scraps, my color scheme will be different, it's going to make my head hurt. Watch me smoke this one up.

El Martin, ever try spinning up pairs of the TT silicon wire in a drill (for filaments)? Does it stay in a nice tight wind? Does the length stay straight?

Hopefully a third Martin will show up with a Euro-source for PTFE. I miss home, at least when you wanna buy something the USA is sooo easy.
overtone

Post by overtone »

rp,
you should really try that silicone wire from TT. It stays in place perfectly, just push it where you want, nothing like your Fluke leads. It is totally easy to strip, heat tolerant and twists / spins in a drill really well for your filament runs. TT has it in various thicknesses.
I have used it extensively but now use their high voltage hook up, which however does not stay in place so well. It has a thinner wall thickness even though it is double insulated.
Very quick service from that supplier and you can order 5m lengths to try out.
Best, tony
davent

Post by davent »

Aleksi

Post by Aleksi »

Hi rp,

Ampmaker in the UK sells teflon wire, sometimes I get wire from there along with other parts. However, I really like the wire from www.johnswireshop.com , he sells on eBay and is located in the US. If you send him a message asking for custom colors and AWGs he'll most likely be able to get you what you need (at cheap prices). The shipping has always been <10€ for a good bag of wire.

BR,
Aleksi
El_Martin

Post by El_Martin »

Hi!

Tony answered it already. I use all kinds of wire, depending on the purpose. Mostly solid core for heaters, though.

Don't worry: you'll get all the parts you'll ever need here in Europe.

Ciao
Martin
rp

Post by rp »

El_Martin wrote:Don't worry: you'll get all the parts you'll ever need here in Europe.
So who here will wind me an affordable one-off PT for only a $20 dollar up-charge and have it in my hands in a week like Heyboer??? I'm really asking.

Maybe in time I will find everything, but it looks like I'll be paying big postage and heinous 20% customs from the USA a lot too.

Johnswireshop.com is totally cool! Right into my Saved Sellers, thanks.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

You might look for wire with PTFE coating. 2 years ago the owner of the name "Teflon"(Dupont) did a sweep on most webshops that did use the name "teflon".
PTFE=Teflon
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

rp wrote:
El_Martin wrote:Don't worry: you'll get all the parts you'll ever need here in Europe.
So who here will wind me an affordable one-off PT for only a $20 dollar up-charge and have it in my hands in a week like Heyboer??? I'm really asking.
I think some of the Italian transformer manufacturers will.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
ApexJr.

Post by ApexJr. »

erwin_ve wrote:You might look for wire with PTFE coating. 2 years ago the owner of the name "Teflon"(Dupont) did a sweep on most webshops that did use the name "teflon".
PTFE=Teflon

YEP... I was one of them I had to change my website and take down
Teflon wire and use PTFE, but put a link to Wikipedia to state what
PTFE wire is....
I also have great prices on Teflon wire both stranded and solid

www.apexjr.com
overtone

Post by overtone »

rp wrote:So who here will wind me an affordable one-off PT for only a $20 dollar up-charge and have it in my hands in a week like Heyboer??? I'm really asking.
well if you are serious, take a look at Sowter transformers in the UK. Not cheap, but quality has a price.
A Heyboer will run to a similar price after shipping and customs. Done that already, I'm thinking Sowter next time.

Best, tony
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

I don't think you pay customs, of any significance if any, from US into the EU. You have to pay VAT though, similar to US sales tax, but EU level is around 20% ( some variation between member states).

Electro Novarria is an Italian maker of transformers. There are also several in Germany - just do a search. Then there is Lundahl in Sweden and Sowter in teh UK ( and some more - search Ebay.uk )There is no VAT or customs for goods bought and sent internally within the EU.
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

Aurora wrote:There is no VAT or customs for goods bought and sent internally within the EU.
Correction:
If you're a private person you pay VAT at point of purchase.
It's a different procedure if you're a VAT registered "economic operator"
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review