Super in a Tweed Chassis

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fusionbear

Super in a Tweed Chassis

Post by fusionbear »

Hello guys. I inherited a Tweed 12' Speaker combo without a Chassis and thought of building the Normal channel of a Super Reverb in it. Do you think I can get away with using a 365V-0-365V @150ma Deluxe Reverb PT using Diodes, 2-6L6's, 1-AT7, and 1-12AX7?

Thanks in advance...
Learning to learn...
Luthierwnc

Re: Super in a Tweed Chassis

Post by Luthierwnc »

I know or know of a few people who successfully put 6L6s (or 5881s) in a DR. That said, a real super is usually rated for a quarter amp on the HV taps.

Fixed bias? sh
fusionbear

Post by fusionbear »

Luthierwnc wrote:I know or know of a few people who successfully put 6L6s (or 5881s) in a DR. That said, a real super is usually rated for a quarter amp on the HV taps.

Fixed bias? sh
Definitely fixed bias, no tube rectifier, no reverb, that is why I think I should be ok. It just that if I get a Super PT, I will have to modify the chassis. Something I do not look forward to...
Learning to learn...
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

IMO that power transformer is too weak for a pair of 6L6's if you are looking for the sound of a Super. I agree with the above that a 1/4A HV tap would be much better. But the thing that might be your saving grace (if your tubes can take it) is you'll be at over 500V B+ with a SS rectifier which means the current draw is going to be below 35mA per 6L6.

Really though you are trying to use a 6V6 transformer to do a 6L6 job and you will just be lacking in some power output. But the heater current draw also goes way up which might put that small PT past its comfort zone in that regard and cause issues. I had an amp that I built (4x6AQ5) that had ghosting problems which were eventually chased down to an undersized PT. I reused that transformer in my 5C3 build and it works great (it's my go-to amp for smaller jams).
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Be sure to check out the output transformer location in relation to the speaker frame/ magnet.

On 1 x 12 combos the speaker sometimes needs to be offset from center on the baffle to avoid interference.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
fusionbear

Post by fusionbear »

Thanks for the tips guys. I will bite the bullet and go with the 250ma PT and mod the chassis to make it right. Thankfully, the speaker is already off set. The combo was made by a company "Tidewater" Never heard of them, have you?
Learning to learn...
RB

Post by RB »

I am going to make the assumption you have 5E3 size cabinet and chassis.

If my assumption is correct I would recommend the the Allen TP40D PT. It fits the 5E3 cutout and is used in his 40/35 watt amps.

His TO35MT is a good OT if you are looking for a blackface sound.
If you are looking for a more tweed vibe go with the Mojo 5F4 OT replacement iron.

I have built a number of 40 watt grab and go rigs in the 5E3 cabinet/chassis formfactor using the above iron over the last 5 or so years and never had a failure of any kind with the above magnetics. Also great tone and dynamics.

Regards
Randy
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

+1 on the Allen transformers.
I've bought a few of them over the years and they are just the ticket for a "stock" mounting hole and much increased capacity.
They have the same mounting points and end bells with a lot more laminations.
I think they are the ticket for the "small cabinet big sound" hot rodders out there.
Heavens, an unused PI input !
fusionbear

Post by fusionbear »

Thanks guys, that really helps...

Allen it is...

I'll post my progress as I get my parts...
Learning to learn...