Building a new bench - stand or sit?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Standing or sitting when working on amps?

Stand
47%
Sit
53%

Total votes: 34

Gaz

Building a new bench - stand or sit?

Post by Gaz »

I've been working at a desk for way too long, and it's starting to take a toll on my back. I was going to build a new bench and figured it'd be best for my back to stand. What's your guys' setup, and what do like/hate about it?

I'm trying to figure out the ideal height as well. I don't use an amp cradle, so no added height to the amp. I'm a healthy 5' 7" :oops:
Last edited by Gaz on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
gingertube

Re: Building a new bench - stand or sit?

Post by gingertube »

I had a purpose built electronics workshop constructed. I used a kitchen builder for all the benches. Suitable for standing but I mainly use a high swivel chair on wheels to sit while working. A normal height office chair is too low.
Cheers,
Ian
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I like to stand primarily with that same high stool for when my left foot goes numb.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I added a stand up bench this year but most of my work is done sitting since my back and legs hurt to much to stand long.

Panoramic view L to R

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

It should be a height where you can stand, or sit with a decent bar stool.

Where's the poll?
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

My workbench is an old drafting table set flat. It's the best of both worlds. I can stand or sit and still work.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

+1 for standing with the option to sit on a bar stool type chair. My bench is standing height, but I'm an amateur and am rarely at it for more than 2-3 hours and typically much less. At the end of a couple of hours, I'm usually getting sore. I should buy myself a stool.

I also have a regular table opposite the bench, thinking it would provide the option to sit. I soon learned that I wasn't going to use it because sitting impedes free movement. It became a place to deposit things and is now fully occupied with, well, stuff.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Count me among the "stand with the option to sit" group. I usually start out standing, but if I'm there long enough, I pull the stool over.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

The stool is important as well. I have a drafting stool that came with the table. It has a cushioned seat, wheels and a nice footrest. I don't think I could get too comfortable on a barstool... unless I was at a bar of course.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I have three distinct work areas: one for circuit board fabrication and two for soldering, wiring, etc. One has a stool. I never sit in it (but sometimes stack things on it).
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I am a luthier and stand at a bench all day with no problems (so far). My bench height is 37" and I'm between 5'9" and 5'10". A stool on wheels would be a nice addition for amp work. You have to make the bench high enough so you are standing fairly straight or your back will get fried and your posture will suffer.
Last edited by telentubes on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
briane

Post by briane »

Wow - I'm like the only sitter - gets too much standing, and I spend a lot of hours at the bench.

My hands shake a lot less sitting than standing - I aint an old fart yet - but get off my lawn! ;-)

high bench, stool prolly best of both options.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

I am vision impaired, so I have to get within a few inches of the work to see it. Oftentimes, I use a 5x jeweler's loop for soldering, which brings me in even closer. I sit at a low bench (standard folding table), humped over to get close enough. I've gotten to the point where I keep a number of boxes and things of various heights nearby to position the work at a higher elevation to keep my back as straight as possible. After long periods (which I try to avoid these days because I AM an old fart - and by the way, get off of my lawn too!), my middle back aches badly. If I could defy gravity, I would build a vertical bench so that I could get in close to the work without bending my back at all. Most of my real work is done at the computer. I have a 24" monitor (at a rather course 1600 x 1000 resolution) that sits about 8" back from the front edge of my desk. My usual working distance is about 6" from my eyes to the monitor. Even this wears thin on my middle back after a few long days in a row.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
billyz

Post by billyz »

tubeswell wrote:It should be a height where you can stand, or sit with a decent bar stool.

Where's the poll?
I agree. I find I stand then sit then stand. Get a nice padded work stool like the sears craftsman(cheap) etc.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Stand - sit - stand - sit - stand (scratch head) - sit.
Bar stool here too.
Why Aye Man