Ampfest Shootout Structure

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Luthierwnc

Ampfest Shootout Structure

Post by Luthierwnc »

Last year, some friends and I held an informal Ampmoot to air out some gear and have a good time. We had an assortment of players, amps and guitars in a big woodshop. Basically, someone would introduce a rig, play a little bit and then turn it over to the other guys to wank around with their choice(s) of instruments. Time allotted varied by how it sounded. A couple of them got a second look at the end. Other than a bassist friend who participated and helped on a couple songs, it really wasn’t music. It did spur me to make (or remake) some amps that had better headroom and articulation in a big room.

It is time to do it again. More players have heard about it, we have more choices of venue, recording, etc. Some of the guys would like to shanghai a bass player and drummer, do the kinds of songs everyone knows and make it a real world test. Others would prefer a more clinical trial. Some come for the beer.

I’d like to hear how you did it and what changes or improvements you’d make. I think a lot of ideas have merit but with more players, guitars and rigs, it could be a real cluster without some structure. I’m leaning towards builders getting two entries and players getting one – tube homebrews, boutiques and classics only. No elaborate pedal-boards, racks or back-up singers. I am personally in favor of the “Lynyrd Skynyrd” rule that no more than two guitarists are allowed to play at a time unless it is a memorial tribute concert, although there can be one turned down waiting for their shot. We have all the sound reinforcement gear we can carry (and some we can’t).

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Skip