Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rawnster

Old Organ parts

Post by rawnster »

I Hate being bi-polar; It's awesome!
Firestorm

Re: Old Organ parts

Post by Firestorm »

How old? What model? What's your goal? Lot of work no matter what. Like old radios; it's got to be a labor of love.
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

Firestorm wrote:How old? What model? What's your goal? Lot of work no matter what. Like old radios; it's got to be a labor of love.
Hey Firestorm, I really don't have a goal other than trying to score some tubes. The organ was filled primarily with RCA 12AU7s. Looks to be at least 50 years old.
I Hate being bi-polar; It's awesome!
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Got ya. Tubes for sure; electros are shot; couplers, who knows? You could keep the sockets if you're willing to drill out the rivets. Maybe the rotary switches. I used to keep a couple of old parted out chassis around in case I needed something I didn't have; like a scavenger hunt. Depends on how small you can get it and how much room you want to waste.
Baxtercat

Post by Baxtercat »

Looks like it was a chord organ [lotsa 12AU7s in those]. I also keep some of those same chassis carcasses around here, for resistors and tube sockets, etc..

Here's what's left of the rest: a little amp!
Last edited by Baxtercat on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guitar Bob
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

+1 on what Firestorm says. I'm a junkie for taking apart old stuff. You have to like doing it because it can be tedious. Unfortunately, many of the parts don't look very desirable, like the boatload of ceramic disc caps. There are a few carbon comp resistors with long leads that may or may not be worth taking. Those white barrel caps might be worth harvesting -- not sure. If you have the patience, the turret boards can be stripped and reused.