Using Tektronix 576 on vacuum tubes

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cesout

Using Tektronix 576 on vacuum tubes

Post by cesout »

I've got a 576 and I have built a test fixture for tubes. It has two octal sockets and a single 9 pin socket. There are hookups for heater and screen supplies.

I allows me to test tubes under maximum operating parameters (or not) and view the resulting plate curves. I can do A/B comparisons of dual triodes or octal power tubes for matching.

After culling with the 576, pop into an amp and listen.

The pictures of the plate curves are of a dual triode and they are matched dead on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
selloutrr

Re: Using Tektronix 576 on vacuum tubes

Post by selloutrr »

Very cool welcome to the family!

I have a couple of the tektronix transistor and tube curve tracers. They are great built very well and until the small rebirth of tube testing one of the few ways to get actual working test voltages.

Make sure you recap and calibrate the tester. they require service and calibration at least yearly to give accurate results. Also I've found it's best to power them on for 30min to heat up before testing. A Constant voltage transformer will also help stabilize the test.

Congratulations!
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
cesout

576 fixture

Post by cesout »

I made a modification to the test fixture by adding a pentode/triode switch. Why not. Can actually measure the difference in power (can hear it too).

I've added a P/T switch to a TW express clone and it goes a long way in taming the volume. I haven't fully evaluated but will get around to it. It does sound good in the triode mode BTW.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Is it too late to ask Santa for one of those?

Neato!
cesout

Post by cesout »

Reeltarded wrote:Is it too late to ask Santa for one of those?

Neato!
Have you been naughty or nice?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Yes. Yes, I have been naughty and/or nice! Depends on what the standards are.
cesout

Post by cesout »

The test jig will only work if you've got a 576. If you really want one I can build you a fixture. Case is .09 aluminum, heavy duty with ceramic sockets, teflon wire, etc...

For real?