Is the Triode universal PT good for an AC30?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

VintageCharlie

Is the Triode universal PT good for an AC30?

Post by VintageCharlie »

Hello folks,

i'm considering to buy the triode electronics universal multi-tap PT. (http://store.triodestore.com/the-conver ... ormer.html)
It has 680v, 640v, and 580v @ 210mA taps. Would this be enough to run 4x el84, 3x 12ax7, 1x ef86? Wouldn't the 580v tap be too high for an ac30/rocket style build?

This would be a good PT, as it could be used for a Super Reverb, 50w Marshall and maybe Hiwatt builds (with the 680v tap).

I'm concerned about the mA rating though - would the tranny really be that versatile, as marshall PT's have a rather low 150mA rating, hiwatts have a 300mA rating, etc. This afaik affects sag/response of the amp.

How does the extra mA affect the behaviour/tone of an amp - if a marshall would need only 150mA, but i use a PT with 210mA. The same goes the other way - i guess a hiwatt style build would be ok - 2x el34 and 3x 12ax7 on 210mA, but originals had quite a lot extra space with the 300mA rating - how would the amps tone change when there is no such extra reserve in the current rating?

Thanks in advance!

VintageCharlie
Roe

Re: Is the Triode universal PT good for an AC30?

Post by Roe »

www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie »

Thanks for the reply, Roe, but i would like to have a PT that allows me to do various builds, including an AC30 - hence i'm wondering if the multi tap PT would do it.

Btw. does anyone know of a similar multi tap - pt? Maybe with higher mA rating?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Unless your planning on building several circuits out of one project amp (prototype) I would stick to the PT that goes with the circuit your building not multiple HT taps.

Some guys like to build an amp then tear it down and build something elese out of it, that would drive me nuts :lol:

Mark
VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie »

This is actually why i'm interested in the multi tap PT - for tinkering and trying out various builds. AC30 (which is one of those i would like to try) is mentioned as one of the amps that can be built with it, but the mA rating seems to be quite low for that application - hence i'm having my doubts if it really is that versatile despite the various taps.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I don't know how to answer your questions specifically, but I have one oh the triode multi tap convertible PT's that I have in a chassis that I have rebuilt a few times into different amps. I have not been trying to build clones with it, more of a prototyping of my own ideas.

It seems to work well. It has run very cool for me, but I have not really pushed it. I have been using 2 6V6's and 3 or 4 preamp tubes. I was surprised that it has pretty thin lead wires but it works good.

Right now I am using the 680v taps with a choke right after the reservoir cap before a set of diodes that separate the pre-amp from the VVR'ed PI and PA. There is a pretty big voltage drop across the choke, probably due to its DC resistance. I am getting about 400v at the 6V6 plates.

I think in the future I would buy a PT more suited for the particular amp that I am looking to build. However this has worked out good for me in an educational/research kind of way.
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

The 580 tap will be fine if you use a tube rectifier.

if you solid state rectify the voltage for el84s will be a little high.

They won't be higher then what some amps run el84s at though. As long as you pay attention to your biasing it shouldn't be a problem.
VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie »

Thanks for the replies guys! I think i might go with this PT for Fender and some other builds and another PT with 250-300mA rating and 300-260 voltages for VOX and other 4x el84 builds. Besides the classictone Trainwreck PT with 300v and 260v taps, do you know any other PT with dual voltages and an mA rating of over 250?
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

M Fowler wrote:Unless your planning on building several circuits out of one project amp (prototype) I would stick to the PT that goes with the circuit your building not multiple HT taps.

Some guys like to build an amp then tear it down and build something elese out of it, that would drive me nuts :lol:

Mark
Yeah wow.!!!
Do not have anywhere near the ability/knowledge that most guys on this forum do.
But the idea of that just seems like ditch digging to me.
That kind of PT is WAY beyond my hobby amp building needs.
Cannot even get a rope around having the kind of abilities that would necessitate owning a PT that would be used in a bunch of prototypes that would soon be gutted.
Kind of envious I guess. :)