New amp finished (except cab)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rfgordon

New amp finished (except cab)

Post by rfgordon »

Here's my other current project, an amp made at the request of the owner of a new music store in town. He wants to have his store be more of a part of the local music scene, so he wants to sell my amps and the guitars a friend builds.

Here are pics of the amp. I use the Turretboards Matchless Lightning board (and their chassis), except Ken changes the spacings so I can use bigger Sprague caps. I don't use the standard Lightning values except in a few places, and you can see that I've added Middle and Presence controls, as well as a switch that cuts the Master Volume out. Since big bottles run cathode bias make mucho heat, I run a fan, which is switchable for recording.

I used Weber iron for this (why the choke is sooo stinkin' big, I've no clue). The Weber OT compares favorably with the one from Allen I've used in two other amps. Right now I'm digging it running my favorite old 6L6s--made in West Germany back in the early 60s.

It's very quiet and dynamic. It'll get cabbed with an Eminence Cannibis Rex, though I'm shortly becoming a Tone Tubby dealer, so future amps will have either Tubbies or hempconed Celestions of various types. BTW, Tone Tubby expects to start shipping hempconed 8" speakers in a couple months, and a 15" by mid year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower