How to Lacquer Tweed??

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: How to Lacquer Tweed??

Post by Structo »

Did the Polyshades take a long, long time to dry?

I used some on my amp cradle and I hated it.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

It took a couple hours. It was a nice day I just left it outside in the sun.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
epis

Post by epis »

dorrisant wrote:I know this is an old post but I'm gonna ask anyway. What are you guys sticking the tweed down with before you lacquer?
I used ordinary carpenter glue on mine recent build. The glue cured hard and kept the resonance of the uncovered pine.
Another advantage, didn't smell. It gives you a lots of time to work on seams, angles and corners.
Only disadvantage is if you want to recover it in the future, it would be PIA to remove old tweed.
I applied two coats of sanding sealer to tweed, six coats of shellac and two coats of Varathane.

[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I use hide glue for gluing on tweed. Mix glue granules with water, and heat to 140 degrees. Thin it down a bunch. Dries crystalline hard overnight. It's the glue that was used back in the day. Works really well.
Then I paint on shellac tinted with Colortone dyes. I'm after a road worn beer stained splotchy look, which is way easier than a uniform color.
If I wanted uniform, I would probably spray instead of brush.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tubelectron

Post by tubelectron »

I would have lacquered the tweed of my small Gretsch G5222-VCM, but unfortunately, the adequate products are difficult to find here in France.

De guerre lasse, I finally just applied one coat of clear satin polyurethane finish (Vernis Satiné Polyuréthane Longue Durée SYNTILOR !) and find that the result was acceptable compared to the original condition :

Before :
[img:411:404]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/450314gretschos4.jpg[/img]

After :
[img:800:713]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/704790IMG0636red.jpg[/img]

A+!
If it works, don't fix it...
www.guilhemamplification.jimdo.com