Lead free solder

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

trane34

Lead free solder

Post by trane34 »

So I was looking up the effects of lead solder and this is some nasty stuff. With a three year old nosing around all the time I was wondering if lead free solder is good or even ok to use with amp building. I started with an allen amp kit and the lead stuff is what was recommended. Never really questioned it until now. So why use this stuff? Lead free ok?
cbass

Re: Lead free solder

Post by cbass »

Hate it.

Your kid should be fine as long as he doesn't put the solder in his mouth or handle it.Its a good I dea to keep your workbench closed of from Curious kids and kitties too
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I read some study saying that lead-free was much worse to breathe. If you have a kid, just be dilligent about washing your hands before leaving before touching a bunch of stuff, and wash with cold water so the lead can enter your skin as easily.
tsutt

Post by tsutt »

unless you eat your fine. been around forever all of a sudden in the seventies they started making claims how hazardous it it and basically outlawed it from paint ect. The real reason they did this? and you can call me anything you want but this is the real truth. Is so they can see though your house with infra red radar tech they can see your weapons and such for the soon to come gun grab. they were developing the tech back then and knew they would have to eliminate lead paint. Just think of all the tax dollars spent hi military technology that will be soon used against you by your own gov. paid for by you. HAHAHAHAHA!
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

And they said lead was so dangerous, but the smartest tech types in the world that invented everything worth having lived on the stuff.

Now what do we have?

Kids that can't think straight and "inventions" that make people dumber every day.

Idiocracy!
Gatorade is good for the plants!
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

I usually don't give advice, but...
Stock up on the lead stuff guys.
Works much better - just don't inhale the fumes if you can help it.
Make more amps.
You need them.
You know it makes sense.
8)
Why Aye Man
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Not saying its not bad for you to inhale, but everyone knows there's no lead in the fumes,right? You know user PRR made a really smart post on this subject over at the Hoffman forum a while. I'm gonna see if I can find it...
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Bob S wrote:I usually don't give advice, but...
Stock up on the lead stuff guys.

8)
Everyone in my family now knows that if they can't dream up a brilliant gift, then just give me 60/40 rosin core solder.
I go though about 2 lbs a year at this rate.

It's a good gift.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I just bought some 60/40 at the lumeryard for Cheap.It looked like its been sitting there for a long long time.Got two 1/2lb rolls.Its pretty thick gauge though wich kinda sucks.
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

Gaz wrote:Not saying its not bad for you to inhale, but everyone knows there's no lead in the fumes,right? You know user PRR made a really smart post on this subject over at the Hoffman forum a while. I'm gonna see if I can find it...
That's totally right Gaz. It's the rosin that makes all the fumes. The boiling point of lead is 1749 °C (3180 °F) so it will take a soldering iron from hell to achieve that temperature. You won't be inhaling lead with your Weller.
-T
Simplify before you amplify
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

Been soldering lead free since 2007 without any problems.
Don't believe any horror stories by guys who have no idea what they're talking about.
Lead free solder developed specifically for manual soldering is widely available since couple years and is getting better every day. Latest one that I'm testing currently has something like 0.05% Germanium content and is the best so far.
You can even claim it will make any Fuzzface clone sound better. :twisted:
BTW. invest in proper soldering iron.
FYI none of my amps delivered after ROHS became mandatory has had any problems. None.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
cbass

Post by cbass »

Hell I ate lead paint chips all duh times when I was a kid. Look at me iI'm tottally fine I think :?: [/list]
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

trane34 wrote:So I was looking up the effects of lead solder and this is some nasty stuff. With a three year old nosing around all the time I was wondering if lead free solder is good or even ok to use with amp building. I started with an allen amp kit and the lead stuff is what was recommended. Never really questioned it until now. So why use this stuff? Lead free ok?
IMHO, your efforts would be better serverd testing your home for Radon verses any concerns over solder fumes.

TM
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Cygnus X1 wrote:And they said lead was so dangerous, but the smartest tech types in the world that invented everything worth having lived on the stuff.

Now what do we have?

Kids that can't think straight and "inventions" that make people dumber every day.

Idiocracy!
Gatorade is good for the plants!
See what happens when you keep kids locked up inside soaked in antibiotic soap, away from kickball and shielded trom the opportunity to kick a bullies butt and always giving them a pat on the back when don't deserve it.......it screws them up......LOL