Amp hum

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cryptic Kitten

Amp hum

Post by cryptic Kitten »

It's on my 3120 again/still. Had all the tubes replaced and it sounds better but still not so great. The hum is volume dependent. If i change the volume on the guitar or the amp the hum changed. Zero volume = Almost no hum. It still makes the hum when nothing is plugged in and the volume is up. I think the guy didn't change one of the preamp tubes. Maybe the PI? Do I need a power conditioner or noise gate or is there something I could still do to fix this? I don't have money to keep throwing at this amp so I need to know what I do will work.
Reeltarded

Re: Amp hum

Post by Reeltarded »

Everything is a guess. What did he say about it?

It is so impossible to diagnose the exact problem withiut being there. It it filter caps? A wire out of place? A poor ground? A problem with the board? Does this model amp have a knack for humming? Is it caused by your house AC? Is it RF or line induced from another device plugged into the AC?

Hummmm..

Does it have a loop? Plug another preamp or a drive pedal into the return and play with it. Still humming? Have another power amp? Plug the send into it and see if it hums.
Last edited by Reeltarded on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
cryptic Kitten

Post by cryptic Kitten »

He said the amp wasn't buzzing at all after he changed the tubes so I was wondering if it could be my power?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Yeah, it could be anything and $200 later it could still be that same thing if you just don't know..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Any compact fluorescent lights nearby? Or light dimmers?

Both can cause buzz in an amp.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
cryptic Kitten

Post by cryptic Kitten »

I moved it out into another room where there is only 1 little light with no dimmer. Still the same thing. I should mention the thing squeals if I turn the gain past noon.
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

Try a different cord, a different guitar?
I Think I Think Too Much !
cryptic Kitten

Post by cryptic Kitten »

It does it without the cable being plugged in as well. Would a micophonic preamp cause it?
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

cryptic Kitten wrote:It does it without the cable being plugged in as well. Would a micophonic preamp cause it?
More likely an improperly-wired input jack than a microphonic tube. If the tip switch is not wired to GND, the amp will definitely hum when the volume is increased with nothing plugged in.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

It squeals when turned up past noon . . . with nothing plugged in? No guitar or cord?
cryptic Kitten

Post by cryptic Kitten »

No, it hums with the guitar not being plugged in. That howling squeal sound thing only happens if the guitar is plugged in.

I cranked the volume an tapped the amp head and it didn't make any noises through the cab. I tapped the preamps and I think v3 might be a little microphonic?
cryptic Kitten

Post by cryptic Kitten »

Another thing is the guy didn't give me back my power cable. I found another one that was 120vac so I figured that should work and won't make a difference?
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

I'm sure it'll work fine, but go back and get your cable from him.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Check out the input jack and make sure it shorts to ground when nothing is plugged in.

Also check the grid leak resistor (typically 1Meg)
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
cryptic Kitten

Post by cryptic Kitten »

Structo wrote:Check out the input jack and make sure it shorts to ground when nothing is plugged in.

Also check the grid leak resistor (typically 1Meg)
Are either of those things I could do without much experience? I hear a lot of people on here talk about getting electrocuted so hard you end up on another planet.