VVR in a AC15

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drhulsey

VVR in a AC15

Post by drhulsey »

I have a production Vox AC15 with the contemporary PCB layout. I want to put the appropriate version of Dana's VVR in it. There are fuses in the B+ line.
This is what it looks like in the amp. The single blue wire is at point A. Point B might be the obvious place to put the VVR, but this on the PCB. Of course, traces can be divided, but it's more of a hassle. Can it be put in the blue wire from the rectifier tube? Any advice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
martin manning

Re: VVR in a AC15

Post by martin manning »

I think you want to keep the reservoir cap on the input side of the VVR, and put the VVR afetr all the fuses, so that would mean taking the VVR input voltage from the node downstream of the one marked "B", at the top of C2, and breaking the power supply string after that.
Last edited by martin manning on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

There might be some useful information & examples about Dana's VVR installations here:

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6899.0

With respect, 10thtx
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

martin manning wrote:I think you want to keep the reservoir cap on the input side of the VVR, and put the VVR afetr all the fuses, so that would mean taking the VVR input voltage from the node downstream of the one marked "B", at the top of C2, and breaking the power supply string after that.
I see what you mean. I'll look at the PCB, again.
10thTx wrote:There might be some useful information & examples about Dana's VVR installations here:

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6899.0

With respect, 10thtx
Thanks. I've read that thread. I know theoretically where it is supposed to go, but the fuses con"fused" me :oops:
Tim

drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Bump. Can anyone give me a hint about the correct placement of the VVR in an AC15?
Tim

katopan

Post by katopan »

They always work better if you put it after the first filter cap, then move the rest of the amp (OT CT, power chain) to the VVR output.