uTracer (Micro Curve Tracer)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

audiowizard

Re: uTracer (Micro Curve Tracer)

Post by audiowizard »

Passed all tests that he gave me, I think it has to do with the software and how to use it.
neskor

Post by neskor »

Did you maybe try V6.2 version?
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

Hiya,

I'm planning to build a uTracer this year and I'm torn between version 3 and version 6. Just wondering if anyone had experience of both and if you found any real advantages with the version 6 for guitar amp work. I understand there may be some problems with oscillation in v.6 that are not present in the more mature v.3

Considering the cost of the v.6 over v.3 I'm wondering if I wouldn't be paying for something I'm unlikely to ever need in its full capacity.

Cheers!
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Stephen1966 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:50 pmConsidering the cost of the v.6 over v.3 I'm wondering if I wouldn't be paying for something I'm unlikely to ever need in its full capacity.
I think 3+ is more than adequate. I summarized my experience and recommendations a few posts up in this thread. Start reading here: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 17#p440817
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

martin manning wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:13 pm
Stephen1966 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:50 pmConsidering the cost of the v.6 over v.3 I'm wondering if I wouldn't be paying for something I'm unlikely to ever need in its full capacity.
I think 3+ is more than adequate. I summarized my experience and recommendations a few posts up in this thread. Start reading here: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 17#p440817

Thanks, Martin. I'll do that.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

I found some aftermarket links that might be interesting.

Matrix Pin Switch Board for uTracer
http://bmamps.com/store/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=443

uTracer 3 /3+ upgrade processor
http://bmamps.com/store/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=440

utMax – a GUI for uTracer 3 / 6
https://bmamps.com/v01/home/techie-corn ... cer-utmax/

uTracer Firmware Chip Option
https://bmamps.com/v01/utracer-firmware-chip/

Does anyone have any experience with these?
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I believe Tony D is using uTMax https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 29#p450229 It has been around for quite some time (2015, maybe?), originally intended to increase voltage and current capability of the uT3. The uT3+ with 400V max Va/Vs and high-current mod is more than adequate now. I was interested in it at that time as a possibility for running a uT from my Mac, and discussed creating a MacOS version with Nick. In the end I decided to run a Windows OS on my Mac using Bootcamp. Lately I've switched to using Ihor's GUI. It looks nicer, works on my MacBook in MacOS (no reboot into Windows), and runs the OEM firmware. It also greatly reduces actual test vs. set voltage droop. There may be some speed and other improvements to the uTMax firmware, but I'm inclined to stay with R Dekker's version.

I'm definitely of the KISS school re the socket connections. Patch cords are quick and infinitely flexible if you want to trace things other than vacuum tubes. A repair business might find an advantage in automation, but for my purposes, patch cords are fine. There are only a relatively few tube types in common use, and many share pin connections. Two dedicated sockets, one for 12A_7 and the other for the common power pentodes would be much simpler and faster for 90% of the tubes in use.
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

martin manning wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:09 pm I believe Tony D is using uTMax https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 29#p450229 It has been around for quite some time (2015, maybe?), originally intended to increase voltage and current capability of the uT3. The uT3+ with 400V max Va/Vs and high-current mod is more than adequate now. I was interested in it at that time as a possibility for running a uT from my Mac, and discussed creating a MacOS version with Nick. In the end I decided to run a Windows OS on my Mac using Bootcamp. Lately I've switched to using Ihor's GUI. It looks nicer, works on my MacBook in MacOS (no reboot into Windows), and runs the OEM firmware. It also greatly reduces actual test vs. set voltage droop. There may be some speed and other improvements to the uTMax firmware, but I'm inclined to stay with R Dekker's version.

I'm definitely of the KISS school re the socket connections. Patch cords are quick and infinitely flexible if you want to trace things other than vacuum tubes. A repair business might find an advantage in automation, but for my purposes, patch cords are fine. There are only a relatively few tube types in common use, and many share pin connections. Two dedicated sockets, one for 12A_7 and the other for the common power pentodes would be much simpler and faster for 90% of the tubes in use.
Thanks Martin, I wasn't sure if you had heard of them. The relay board looks like a nice piece of engineering but way above the necessary when, as you say, we are dealing with a limited range of tubes. I bet you could build this with just two sockets (octal and noval) and when it's time to run some more exotic tube just build a break-out box with the socket already wired up to some loose banana jacks. The software was more interesting and the 12bit sampling looks better but RD's is probably just more future-proof.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

As you can see, I settled on three sockets, 7, 8, and 9-pin. Anything else can be jury-rigged, and you can see several examples of that pictured in this thread.

I recall one uT3 build with just three sockets, all hard-wired, two as I described above, plus a second noval for EL84's.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Here's what I did...2 x octal (1 for an expansion plug) and 2 x noval (one for 12**7s, 1 for EL84s).

If anyone would like something similar, just let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

dorrisant wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:51 pm Here's what I did...2 x octal (1 for an expansion plug) and 2 x noval (one for 12**7s, 1 for EL84s).

If anyone would like something similar, just let me know.
It looks very nice, did you engrave it by hand? Well done! Does it mean your sockets are hardwired?
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Engraved and holes cut in CNC. Yes, sockets are hardwired.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

dorrisant wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:11 pm Engraved and holes cut in CNC. Yes, sockets are hardwired.
Thanks! I'll have a think about that.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu