Japanese Counterfeit/Bootleg Fender Dual Showman

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Junkin8ez

Japanese Counterfeit/Bootleg Fender Dual Showman

Post by Junkin8ez »

I Picked this up at a yard sale today. I knew it was totally wrong but for $25 I took a chance to amuse myself. Does anybody have any info on this amp? Real Manufacturer? Year made? value? It has 2 Hitachi 6L6 3-7025 & 1-12at7. Speaker was missing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mark enger

Re: Japanese Counterfeit/Bootleg Fender Dual Showman

Post by mark enger »

I might not be right, but it sure ain't wrong for 25$ great find mark
Richie

Post by Richie »

mark enger wrote:I might not be right, but it sure ain't wrong for 25$ great find mark
can't beat the price. Their use to be the ELK amps. The nameplate looks like FeMder. Maybe an O-FeMder. :D
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

:lol:

That's a great deal for $25! Nice score!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

One of the guitar magazines had an article about fake Fenders being sold in Vietnam during the 1970's. I have never run across one myself.

Elk amps had their own logo on them.
Junkin8ez

Post by Junkin8ez »

Do you remember which Guitar Mag?
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

It is not and Elk, The Elk eventually became Fender, Japan." No Export Only" meaning for local use only. Check the voltage listed for that amp and if it states 220 Volts VAC, possibly. Also a Gut shot would prove if its and Elk or Not.

The best way to tell is a better picture of the rear name plate in detail. That article did not do justice to Elk amplifiers.

Look under Fender Japan and see which models and Logos were available.
Looks like a Korean made amp to me.

Real Fender:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fende ... d_logo.jpg
Junkin8ez

Post by Junkin8ez »

Nothing on the back plate. There is a switch for 110V or 220V.The fender name plate is is a pressed aluminum. All electronic components are made in Japan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junkin8ez

Post by Junkin8ez »

Good news! It does work. Needs some tlc & Tubes. I just don't know if is worth $$$$.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

I love those big green caps! :mrgreen: There's also an old gray Rubycon in there too! I'm going to be on the lookout for these things. Very cool to hear that it works. :)
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

While on a tour of the orient during the late 60's/early 70's, many countries had this kind of stuff for sale to us servicemen. I bought a "fender" "bassman" speaker cabinet in the Phillipines that had a single no name 12" speaker, (and a painted on 12" speaker). When I paid $50 for it I of course knew that it was a knock off. A friend bought a "showman" amplifier in Korea for $75, and it wasn't even a tube amp!
All that said, the cabinet made a good extension for my combo, and the SS "showman" really sounded pretty good, (the fellow was also a pretty good picker).
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I don't think there's much money to be made in the forgery market. But you got a cabinet, chassis and possibly useable transformers for $25. What's not to like?
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Some new e-caps, tubes and a speaker and it'll be good to go (looks to me that way)
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Junkin8ez

Post by Junkin8ez »

Thanks for the scoop guys. I am surprised there is not much info on these or who made them.The construction is pretty solid.Wiring is top notch. A side from Rubycon,Lily on the caps & Noble on the pots there is no mention of any manufacturer.
NickC

Post by NickC »

In the image file labeled EBAy 022.jpg, there is a lead disconnected in the upper left hand corner of the photo near the jack. I suspect it goes to the jack to the right of the leftmost jack in the picture (there is a solder blob with no wire there).