SLO build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Lindz

Re: SLO build

Post by Lindz »

Also do not forget you also have to use a full wave bridge rectifier with the Classic Tone PT, its not necessarily obvious from any of the documents

It requires a couple small variations on the power board vs the schem and layout jumping a couple of the diode connections etc. Note the hacked in red wires by the diodes on my power board

there is details on that in this thread http://slocloneforums.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=150
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Lindz wrote:Also do not forget you also have to use a full wave bridge rectifier with the Classic Tone PT, its not necessarily obvious from any of the documents

It requires a couple small variations on the power board vs the schem and layout jumping a couple of the diode connections etc. Note the hacked in red wires by the diodes on my power board

there is details on that in this thread http://slocloneforums.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=150
Thanks Lindz
Very much appreciate this info.
Did you just wrap leads around diode ends?

Darin
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

Yes, I just hacked the connections somewhat since the boards are laid out assuming a non bridge rectifier. The 5408 diodes have beefy leads so I could not fit both the hook up wire and the leads into the holes on the pcb so if I recall correctly I just wrapped the wires around the correct end of the diode leads and soldered.

For the ground I just jumped a couple connections under the board
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Lindz wrote:Yes, I just hacked the connections somewhat since the boards are laid out assuming a non bridge rectifier. The 5408 diodes have beefy leads so I could not fit both the hook up wire and the leads into the holes on the pcb so if I recall correctly I just wrapped the wires around the correct end of the diode leads and soldered.

For the ground I just jumped a couple connections under the board
Thanks Lindz
appreciate your time
I'm going to order some 18ga teflon wire for heaters, and some misc parts
to hopefully start building.
renshen1957

Post by renshen1957 »

dcribbs1412 wrote:Not sure there is any interest here but I started a SLO 100 watt build.
I'm gonna take it slow and see if I can build a decent amp.
Using C3 chassis, Smash boards( from slocloneforums) and MC iron( its monsterous!)
pre amp pcb pic

Darin
Hi Darin,

The SLO circuit was the amp that Mesa cloned for its rectifier amps and Peavey cloned for the 5150, which in turn Behringer/Bugera cloned all of the above.

The amp can cover a variety of tones. The original SLO used 5751 tubes for the preamp and 5881s for the power section. However, use your imagination.

Best regards,

Steve
Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is named Steve
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

renshen1957 wrote:
Hi Darin,

The SLO circuit was the amp that Mesa cloned for its rectifier amps and Peavey cloned for the 5150, which in turn Behringer/Bugera cloned all of the above.

The amp can cover a variety of tones. The original SLO used 5751 tubes for the preamp and 5881s for the power section. However, use your imagination.

Best regards,

Steve
Thanks Steve
cool info...
I have some 5751 tubes I may try, no 5881's on hand but I have some
Winged C and some older Russian 6l6's I'm gonna give a shot

Darin
roberto

Post by roberto »

Also take care that the SLO changed so much during the years.
We have also developed many mods you can try.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

roberto wrote:Also take care that the SLO changed so much during the years.
We have also developed many mods you can try.
Looking forward to finishing and maybe trying some of the mods I have seen/read about.

Not much progress...in checking for grounding continuity...all jacks are
insulated from ground(for now). I noticed the OD Volume, Mid and OD Master pots are grounded to chassis. Must be the the powder coating has come off the holes...Wondering if this will cause a problem?
I will be running a bus wire to the pots...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Lookin good so far.I don't think the pots need to be isolated
DLR is a Captain beefheart wannabe
Structo

Post by Structo »

Depending on the sockets you use, the 18ga wire may prove to be difficult to use for heater wiring.

20 ga will handle up to 11 amps, so it is plenty for most amps.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

cbass wrote:Lookin good so far.I don't think the pots need to be isolated
Thanks cbass
I was thinking this is the case just wanted to make sure.
Structo wrote:Depending on the sockets you use, the 18ga wire may prove to be difficult to use for heater wiring.

20 ga will handle up to 11 amps, so it is plenty for most amps.
Thanks Tom
using 20 Ga for pre tubes have some 18 to use for power tubes/buss.
I have some stranded and solid teflon 20 and 18 ga from Steve at Apex...gonna give it a shot.

Darin
roberto

Post by roberto »

You can go directly to the first socket with the PT wires, then you have to consider 4 A for the power tubes, 2 A for the preamps and then the pilot light.

I changed the grounding in all my SLO (and Slolike) amps: everything goes to the supply cap that supplies that part of the amp, except the power tubes that are grounded to the screen supply cap.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

roberto wrote: I changed the grounding in all my SLO (and Slolike) amps: everything goes to the supply cap that supplies that part of the amp, except the power tubes that are grounded to the screen supply cap.
I will keep that in mind...for now going to try somewhat "stock" grounding
and go from there.
Few pics of incredibly slow build.
Had a setback....Belton sockets do not like to be bent too much...snap!
Not sure of the quality but the Phenolic sockets from AES seem to bend a little smoother.

Darin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Belton 8 pin sockets do not like to be bent AT ALL. I think we all learn that lesson at least once.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

tryptophan induced progress pics...hopefully the right shade of blue tone tape....
Wondering about the Mag Comp PT and the bias tap
not sure if one lead is grounded or not?
any suggestions are appreciated

Darin