Gulsekt-88!

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Meat&Beer

Re: Gulsekt-88!

Post by Meat&Beer »

I'm no pro, and I haven't had every amp and type at my disposal, but this amp doesn't at all sound like a stiff Marshall to me. I mean, it can go into Marshall territory if you tweak it so, but that's not what I wanted it to sound like. I'll try to get some clips going on soon... There are "older" sound files posted already on previous pages, if you've any interest.

Xtian, thanks! That's some of the hardest stuff to do, that front panel area. Gotta get pretty creative I found! I answered the panel labeling technique in detail a few posts up, jazbo8 asked also. (Edit; It's about halfway up page 4.)
Meat&Beer

Post by Meat&Beer »

It's certainly been a while, but I'm finally finishing up the final report on this thing. One video sound clip is uploading to YouTube right now, and I have another to edit and also upload. I'll post links for them later tonight.

Here's the head cabinet, "all done". I ran into a problem with the polyurethane on the valance reacting to some plastic when I sprayed the back of it black. :( I'll fix it some day, just not today. The inlay turned out nice, I'm pretty happy with it! (I didn't do that part, I'm not that cool.) I'll sand off the crispy ugly affected areas and re-buff it. Hopefully I don't go through...

Very satisfied with how the cab as a whole came out. There's all kinds of imperfections... Good. It's Lowes select pine, oak for the corner reinforcing slats, and birdseye maple veneer finished in a black stain and a ton of poly. I got the corner slat idea thing from a cabinet Cantplay made probably over a year ago by now... Thanks for the idea man!

Ended up with an RCA short plate 12AX7 for V1, an Amperex long ribbed 12AX7 for V2, and a Tung-Sol 12BZ7 black plate for V3/phase inverter. Favorite tube in the power section is a Svetlana KT88.

What looks like a STBY switch labeled "Scorch" is actually wired to a courtesy outlet on the top of the chassis that powers a big strip of red LED's. Yea, I had to!

I love this amp. Thanks again for all the help, Matt!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Play your guitar(s)!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Great job man! \m/ 8) \m/
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

That's fantastic!
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Haven't been here in a while, and see this! Damn that is one sweet looking amp and i'm sure it sounds as good as it looks. Nice work!
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Very cool looking.
Definitely off the reservation design !
Great build - well done.
Why Aye Man
Meat&Beer

Post by Meat&Beer »

Thanks for all the awesome words, guys! The second video is exporting right now, and it says it has about 3 hours to go... Sheesh. Then it's gotta be uploaded. So that one will have to get posted tomorrow(ish). Until then, here's "Video 1", which the vast majority of you will prefer anyway.

Guitars are standard 440, clean to crunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPkw-z ... e=youtu.be
Play your guitar(s)!
SilverFox

What Rev

Post by SilverFox »

I looked quickly at all five pages and took a listen. Sounds really good. Is this the same schematic as the one posted in the beginning or has it changed much?

Thanks,

silverfox.
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Just got to check out the clips. Man, when you turn up the gain, it just seems like it's on the edge of going into crazy feedback. That's a compliment. :lol:

I wish I had something better than crappy laptop monitors to hear it on.

Particularly early on, I was thinking of the Spinal Tap bit on "can you hear the sustain"? I imagine that's what he heard in his head. :lol:
Meat&Beer

Post by Meat&Beer »

johnnyreece wrote:Just got to check out the clips. Man, when you turn up the gain, it just seems like it's on the edge of going into crazy feedback. That's a compliment. :lol:
Thanks Johnny! Well it's about to get crazier. Here's the Heavy edition, Video 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AEMn9Vk5m8 :shock:
Play your guitar(s)!
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Meat&Beer

Post by Meat&Beer »

So just to finalize the thought on the project scope, here's the last bit of it. It's called the Hell Box, aptly named so for the "output to something" on the schematic, which was dubbed Hell Hole. :wink: :roll:

It wasn't intended to be used as a stand alone unit, but to mix in with the signal in a live or recording setting. At first it was pretty fizzy, so a lot of treble bleed stuff is going on. The tone stack is straight out of the Engl E530 schematic that's all over the place. (Edit, I did change the value of the treble cap.) XLR/unbalanced 1/4" outputs, phase flip switch, line/instrument level.

For a variable treble bleed, (Wired backwards, labeled Fizz on the front) I used a variable capacitor pulled from an old radio. Works so well! If these things weren't so damn big, we'd be using them in guitar amps all the time.

The box is from a remote controller unit for a slide projector. Remember those? Haha! (Oops, gotta watch myself with that phrase. Hehe.) Drilled it, sprayed it black, sanded, paint marker, black sharpie, clear coat.

The sound is, quite different than just listening to the amp through a speaker, as you could imagine. It has so much pick attack, and it's really got that focus on the scrape of the pick across the string sound. PERFECT for adding realistic nuances in a recording mix.

I wanted to do a recording before I posted this, but I just don't have time to set everything up and go nuts like I did for those videos. It's pretty neat! Big boy amp sound by using a PI in a SE amp, and utilizing the "unused" side of the PI for a recording interface type of thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Play your guitar(s)!